The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
friendly

Massage oils as transdermal carriers for absolute oils and highly concentrated herbal liquid extracts

A series of four bioassay experiments were recently carried out to determine if enhanced transdermal absorption of absolute oils and/or highly concentrated liquid herbal extracts (ethanol based) could be facilitated by using organic massage oils (in this case, organic jojoba oil) as carriers.

The combined volume of massage oil carrier and herbal liquid extract and/or absolute oil was one fluid ounce (30ml) in each case, although in some cases less oil was used per massage. Ratios of liquid extract and/or absolute oil to carrier oil were varied from experiment to experiment.

Individual liquid herbal extracts were used in some experiments; combinations of absolute oil and individual liquid herbal extracts in others.

In each case, if a sufficient quantity of massage oil containing liquid extract and/or absolute oil is applied to the skin and rubbed in, the effects are significant, entheogenic to a greater or lesser degree depending on the volume of massage oil used and concentration of active ingredients absorbed, and long-lasting. In some cases the effects were still quite noticable when going to bed upwards of 12 hours afterwards, and again into the next day after waking.

The average volume of massage oil administered over the course of the four experiments was 20ml.

Optimal concentrations have yet to be achieved, but in each case the result was overwhelmingly positive.

I consider the results to be much better than anticipated and well worthy of continued investigation.

Herbal liquid extracts were prepared by refluxing 1050g of raw material in sufficient 95% ETOH (ethanol) to cover to a depth of 1/2 inch, for a minimum of 6 hours. Resulting liquor was decanted, filtered, and returned to the reaction vessel for recovery of excess ETOH and concentration of liquor to a voluime of 3.0 liters. This gives a theoretical concentration the equivalent of 10+ grams of raw material in one fluid oz (30ml) of liquid extract, although you should expect the extraction efficiency to be somewhat less than 100%.

Edited by friendly

This is great! Very well written! I've always been intrigued by trans-dermal application of herbs!

I bought a bottle of Jojoba oil about 2 months ago and I've been obsessed with it a bit. Apparently Jojoba oil is absorbed into skin cells where most oils can't, so it doesn't feel yucky on the skin. I've been putting it in my hair, in moisturiser, massage oil... Last week I mixed in a lot of turmeric powder with some and warmed it up on the stove and then applied it to my grandmother's arthritic feet. At the end of the day she said the pain was much less, but she'd also been having other things for it too.

Someone i chat with mentioned something about the use of Anointing Oil & its use for arthritic pain & other ailments & said he may give some a try on a old injury

Ill see if i can get some feedback from them once they give it a go

When I wrote the above (post #1) I was still very much strongly under the influence of transdermal S.d during experiment 4.

I generally tend to become more verbose under such circumstances.

I could still notice the effects today, two days later, but more on that when I get to Experiment #4.

Experiment 1. (and some inevitable miscellany)

First and foremost, I would like to mention that where I live Salvia divinourm is legal and I am old, decrepit, and have a Cannabis card.

The Cannabis liquid extract is made for hospice and personal use as an analgesic and to help with appetite and sleep. It is not available commercially.

Experiment 1 consisted of 60ml of organic Jojoba oil into which had been infused 6 ml of Cannabis liquid extract (in ETOH) and 6 drops of Nymphaea caerulea (Blue Lily) absolute oil.

Approximately 20ml of the massage oil was consumed over the course of an hour in this massage.

The effects were those of Blue lily and Cannabis combined, with the joy, perfect contentment and relaxed attitude ('no matter what, everything is cool and ok') of The Blue lily merged with the muscle relaxation and mellowness induced by the Cannabis synergizing nicely, although the body load from the Cannabis may have made me more disinclined to want to do anything than the Blue Lily absolute oil alone.

While getting the massage, the effects were somewhat noticable, but when I left the massage area and went into the back yard, they became much more apparent. I took several steps into the garden when it suddenly felt like I was up to my hips in molasses and struggling to take every step, a symptom sometime seen with some psychedelics.

I got the massage between noon and 1 pm and afterwards drove carefully home. The effects were not so strong as yet as to be a hinderance.

Once home and not having to be externally oriented, I was able to more fully apppreciiate the effects of the oils without distraction.

The massage oil disperses the absolute oil and Cannabis liquid extract across a large enough area of the skin as to allow sufficient absorption to occur over time so that the effects stay at a consistent level for many hours after the massage, slowly releasing actives through the skin to be absorbed into the body.

This is true also of S.d liquid extract, but more on that in Experiment 2.

The Blue Lily absolute oil provided perfect contentment while the Cannabis floated one along on clouds of euphoric relaxation.

There were slight CEV, but the main effect was to float away into 'The Land of It Can Wait 'Till Later', a staple of the Blue Lily effect. Everything, the whole world, had become perfect.

The effects remained at a consistent level throughout the rest of the day and evening, very enjoyable, but more of 'museum dose' strength than anything. If one let oneself go, the effects could carry you away, but one could otherwise easily function--if one decided to.

The euphoria produced by this combination was strong, long lasting and well worth repeating. It will make a valuable meditation tool.

The calmness and contentment that came with it was nothing short of remarkable.

The following morning, there was still noticable positive mood enhancement that lasted for several hours.

Use of just the Blue Lily absolute oil (Experiment 5, ongoing right now) has (temporarily?) changed my whole attitude towards life, in a very spiritually positive way. I can easily see why the ancient Indians, the Egyptian priests and Pharoahs and the Maya priests held the Lily as sacred. This has to be the finest, most pleasant, and most euphoric method of Lily use I have ever found. And it lasts soooo long....

During Experiment 2, (Blue lily absolute oil and S.d liquid extract) I found myself thinking that this must be how the Buddha felt after becoming enlightened. More on that when I get to Experiment 2.

This morning Experiment 5 was begun, using only Blue Lily absolute oil as the active. This had a similar, though different, degree of effectiveness than the combination of Blue Lily absolute oil and S.d liquid extract, (as would be expected) and will be described more fully later.

I need to get a few days away from it and look back, to fully assimilate the changes that occurred.

The synergy of the Lily and S.d has to be experienced to be believed. Optimal formulations are not yet ready, but beta test data is accumulating rapidly and I expect to have a few 2.0 series oils available within 60 days, if not sooner.

Experiment 6 is scheduled for Sunday and will contain only N. alba absolute oil as the active.

I will have more to say about that in a few days.

Kava 85%, Kratom liquid extract and Sceletium liquid extract are also in the beta test lineup, but will probably be first tried by my Lab Rats, who meet here tonight.

Calea liquid extract is also on the list of herbs to be tried. I am just now thinking of making a massage oil using Epimedium liquid extract. If I add Schisandra L. E. and Psoralea L.E., it would become an aphrosidiac massage oil that works equally well for both men and women. Hmmm. _Got_ to go there, no doubt. If it's like the others, the aphro effects would last for hours and hours. Hmm again.

I can see I have my work cut out for me for the next several months....It's hard work, but someone's got to do it.

I am open to any and all suggestions for herbs to try, or just as open to hearing results from others who may try similar experiments.

The rest of this series of experiments will be posted within the sext several days and as/after they occur.

Edited by friendly

Comparisons between these oils and witches 'flying ointments' come to mind....but there's no Solanaceous plant material in these.

Anointing oils often contain Datura for analgesia, especially the ones from India.

Edited by friendly

I have seen some patents for using essential oils as a carrier agent for opioid medications...apparently even when used orally some oils increase bioavailability of medicinal compounds.

I think it would be similiar with topical application.

probably will take more of any substance to notice...but maybe not much more!

I personally am VERY interested in the oil/seeds of nigella sativa...purported opioid activity.

in my experience...nigella is right after kratom in opioid like potency.

Yes, the massager is affected.

It does take a considerable amount more for transdermal absorption than for mucous membrane absorption.

While I have very succcessfully used 2 ml of the S.d orally, it takes at least 2-3x that amount for strongly noticable effects when used transdermally, and even then the effects are not similar to something such as smoking the herb. They are less strong, but last for many hours instead of only one hour. The effects usually last all day and into the next. I--so far, using only S.d.l.e. in the massage oil--have gotten lost in my front yard when I thought I would (could) drive to a local park to enjoy the effects. I didn't think it was that strong until I went outside, and then it was too strong to drive, but no meltdown.

Herbal enhancement such as you prefer may be successfully added at 1.5 hours or more after the massage to potentiate the effects if you feel they are not sufficient. Or you could use a stronger concentration of S.d l.e.

The dilution of the massage oil containing only absolute oils with 25% of 95% ETOH will further absorption by thinning out the massage oil and as alcohol, which is a fine carrrier in itself, to aid in transdermal absorption.

In the next few days I will be putting up Experiment 2, which used 6 drops of Blue Lily absolute oil and 6 ml of S.d.l.e.

in 60ml of oil. 60ml of Massage oil with 8 drops of Blue Lily absolute oil and 8 ml of S.d.l.e. was used for Experiment 3, while 60ml of massage oil and 8 ml of S.d l.e. was used for Experiment 4, and 60 ml of massage oil and 8 drops of Blue Lily absolute oil for #5.

A method for transdermal absorption of Cannabis is already patented in the USA.

Experiment 2.

Blue Lily absolute oil and Salvia divinorum liquid extract were combined in 20ml of massage oil and that used for the massage.

While getting the massage, S. d. effects became apparent, but due to the masssage, focus was kept in the body. The masseuse's hands felt like they were penetrating deep into my flesh for the massage, so it was hard to let go and dissolve. Especially when the probing hands and my body became one. The feeling was most unusual and somewhat disturbing, but in a very pleasant way

Exiting the masssage studio, the effects were much more noticable and gave me some slight apprehension about driving, but this soon dispelled and I was able to drive home woithout incident or difficulty.

During the drive home and for a short while afterwards the effects were museum dose strength, but after sitting quietly at home they became stronger and almost hallucinogenic. I found myself thinking that this must be how the Buddha felt upon becoming enlightened. It was most euphoric and entheogenic without becoming overwhelming.

Overall, the effects lasted well into the next day and the afterglow for a few days. When the afterglow was gone--actually, even before it was gone--I found myself wanting to repeat the experience.

In this aspect, it strongly reminded me of the description of the Lotus eaters in Homer's Oddyssey, which I recommend you read (just the Lotus esaters chapter, not the whole thing) to better understand exactly how the Lily effects manifested.

The lily and S.d. combination is still preferred to either one alone as the synergy between effects is truly quite amazing. However, Blue Lily in massage oil by itself has a lot to be said for it. Especially when taking into consideration the Lotus eaters chapter. The effects match Homer's description perfectly.

Next time (experiment 7) I will try the N. alba absolute oil with S.d l.e. in combination.

I did experiment 6 yesterday using the same batch of infused oil as in experiment 2. The effects were identical to experiment 2. Going outside. I sat in a chair for an hour and watched the world go by, and it was very wonderful. When I get to writing #6 up, I will deal with the vividly entheogenic dreams that resulted when sleeping after the massage.

The more you can relax and let go, the better the experience. It's not a go-clubbing kind of thing--at least not for me just now--but I see how it could be, if you had someone else to drive.

If you use it in a social situation, expect to enjoy yourself; but you will only be getting the tip of the iceberg. S.d is best experienced alone and quietly.

So far, I have had nothing but fully successful and entirely delightful experiences using these herbs and oils, either in combination or alone, in massage oil.

Beta testers are reporting similar experiences and I hope to get some of their reports up in the near future.

Experiment 3 used the same ingredients as experiment 2, but in a higher concentration and with somewhat different results.

Experiment 4 was only S.d.l.e. in massage oil and experiment 5 was only Blue Lily absolute oil in massage oil. These were done for comparison of single effects to those of the blend.

Experiment 6 was a repeat of experiment 2 to re-confirm the effects of the combination used in experiment 2, which I feel is the best strength for the combination to be tried so far.

Experiment 7 will be N. alba (white Lily) absolute with S.d.l.e. in massage oil.

I made an 86% Kava extract based massage oil as well, but haven't yet tested it.

Edited by friendly
  • Like 1

More, More, MORE!

Very interesting reading.