The Corroboree
Teotzlcoatl

What is your opinion on "Shorted Spined" Peruvianus?

This is just one continuous species with hundreds of varieties

here are some pictures of the varieties of cryptomeria japonica

the japanese redwood

post-6798-1259287465_thumb.jpg

and one about the size of a shoebox

post-6798-1259287687_thumb.jpg

when a plant is in human cultivation for thousands of years

the number or varieties increases substantially

but none of this creates a new species

The question I have is how short is 'short'

And most users on these boards have plants that are in pots and under a couple of metres tall, which limits variation in spine length..

When planted out, trichs have variable spine length depending on the amount of sunlight the branch gets. A pach can have 10cm spines on old growth in bright light, but < 0.5cm spines on new growth in a shadier position. The same goes for peruvianus. I can take a photo of a plant I moved from bright light to dappled light and the difference is obvious. And vice versa.

yeah id like to see some pics bit, new zealand has a healthy following of cacti growers, and some choice weather too.

I'd want this to see if the PC plant bears a closer relationship to T. bridgesii, as I suspect, than to T. pachanoi.

What makes you suspect that the PC plants is actually more closely related to bridgesii than pachanoi?

from what ive read the peruvianus has brown felty aeroles at the tip gradually turning lighter , im yet to find a peru that has these traits except for the clone i got in nz which some would like to call a pach

from what ive read the peruvianus has brown felty aeroles at the tip gradually turning lighter , im yet to find a peru that has these traits except for the clone i got in nz which some would like to call a pach

All my "True Blue" have brown felt-like areoles.

A few of my peruvianus have brown felt-like aereoles, but then again, so do a few of my pachanoi and the 'Eileeen' bridgesii clone seems to as well.