The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Zen Peddler

Anyone here smoke cigars?

While over in central america for a few months I developed a taste for cigar smoking. Infact since Ive returned Ive been doing it most weeks. Im not a fan of the much hyped Cohiba. Maybe its because Im relatively new to cigars and most of the ones I smoked were Guatemalan or Mexican which were much milder.

I didnt mind Punch from Mexico though - quite nice. Im also a fan of those wine dipped ones.

Funny you bring this up. Watching too much Boston Legal in recent weeks led to me smoking a co-... cigar, earlier this week (with scotch). I never really much liked them before but this time was really good. I even avoided smoking cigarettes because I didn't want to ruin the aftertaste (which lingered for a couple of hours, I might add). I don't know much about them, but I opted for a Montecristo because a) I'd heard of them before and B) it was expensive, which implied it was good.

Are cigars actually another case of you-get-what-you-paid-for? If not, what else would you recommend?

Also, is there a qualitative difference between a big cigar and a small cigar?

Yeah,I dont smoke anything else,but I dont mind the occasional cigar with 4 fingers of single malt,after a hard week at work.

I buy a $10 cigar,anything less ia a bit rough.

I will be interested to see the recommendations if this thread takes off,as I have my 50th birthday in a few months.

I just found a vintage port from my birthyear 1960 on the net, and I do want to get some really good cigars to go with it.

Edited by colhawk

I have done, here'n there.

I usually go with Ritmeister? I dunno, one in a crimson can that has a kind've cherry-ish vibe.

Mainly have them if I'm sippin' some port.

I've had some other really nice ones, here in Sydney there's a guy that does the rounds of the markets such as paddies etc, tried a $16 one from him which was great, one large one worth about $25 that I didn't think was worth the money compared to the last one, a great little port infused one for $6, and a hand rolled "organic" cigar which was quite good and interesting by comparison.

I never really go dead cheap on them, but The rits do the job.

As I said, only an occasional habit.

You smoke cock? LOL

Well I dont really know much about them to be honest. We tried a few local hand rolled ones in Guatemala and they were smooth and fantastic with a few drinks.

I found the cubans ones to be a little too harsh for me - cohibas which are the most expensive so I assumed were the best - were a little too much for me.

There is a cigar bar in hawthorn where some are $125 each. My friend bought some Trinidads and it smelt amazing - hints of chocolates and sweatness and it was the nicest one ive tried thus far.

Because Im a non smoker I find them quite stimulating - by the end of a large cigar smoked for an hour or so I can think super clearly.

Ok. So its not really about cigars...well it is actually...

firstly I'll say, there are cigar cigarette style ones with tasty wooden tips...they rock, its great having something to chew on thats not damp leaves, they are strong and burn for ages and look very VERY cool!

I think mostly black americans smoke them, so u get the picture.

Secondly I'll say, Once upon a time, i was in a cigar shop...i put one of the cigars in my pocket without paying, picked up a differnt cigar and went to the counter and ordered some rum...and then i sat there smoking a cigar. I heard the doors open tot he shop and i was like "oh shit...its the cops" and turned around and it was this dude selling cupcakes...he came over to me and explained his name was gabrielle or and i was like "oh shit...your an angel" and then he proceeded to tell me how he once upon a time was put in jail for stealing to feed his habit and when he got there he was born again as a christian who loved the stories of jesus...so...we bought some cupcakes to atone for my sin finished our drinks and left.

So i sent this "Olliviero" cigar back to Aus so i could give it to my brother for his birthday...and i was like..."oh shit...i ran outta tobacco" very very often so i would crack open this little tube and snip bits of the cigar off the end of it and roll it up and smoke it...it burned me oh soo badly...lung burn too, proper burn. so this happened about once ever 3 weeks or so...and i realised i felt something strange everytime i did it...it was like guilt mixed with relief mixed with respect and fear and laughter.

So, i ran outt of tobacco. and as fate would have it, i had just consumed several hundred mcg of LSD and had two nice hearty cups of esfandacacia tea...i needed somethint to smoke...after staring into my fine little bowl of last resort, i realised that i'd been talking to my brother everytime i had pinched a bit of smoke...thinking about his wellbeing and where he was at and all the good things that should happen to him...laughing about the eventual birthday story of a tiny bit of cigar left from a rather large wad of tobacco...my bro's name is the same as the Olliviero's and so, i was sitting, thinknig, smoking and i realised, thes mini cigars i was making were filled with the thought of my brother and the smoke was burning me as i consumed what transofrmed into my brother, i was smoking my brother, for a while.

I went and sat with Tashi, my deceased canine. I could literally feel the burning sadness in my chest, i could exhale and feel the relief, i could inhale and feel her life passion burning from heaven...i could exhale and feel the peace.

I could see the purpose of cigars, the importation of emotion to physcial realms, and the underlying prohibition scenario that this legal drug denies is a problem and takes no part in solving whilst being the focal point for shamanic medicine around the world...

also...cigars are.

hope u were entertained by my story. haha.