The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
SirLSD

red spots on kratom leaves

my friends kratom plant keeps getting red spots on the leaves. it generally happens when it gets more sun light. the reddening stops when moved into the shade and then gets worse anytime the plant is moved out into the sun, so i left it in the shade all summer. it doesnt seem to want to aclimitize to full sun even though its almost winter ( though its been very sunny here this autumn) anyone know how to stop the red spots? any other tips?

i just did i search and prettymuch found what i was looking for. if i dont get any useful replies feel free to delete the thread mods. sorry

[ 07. May 2004, 20:35: Message edited by: SirLSD ]

replies could be much more useful if your profile had a location provided. I think it is wasting people's time to ask cultivation questions without providing such basic information.

winter in cairns is a different story to winter in hobart.

i think there are two different red spots symtoms,

one caused by overfertilizing the other by winter time... both look like toxic build ups in the leaf tissue to me.

if you get small spots and the leaves show no other problems than its winter symtoms, like automm leave colors..

if they get brown edges aswell and curl than its toxic build ups.

[ 08. May 2004, 10:06: Message edited by: planthelper ]

My kratom gets red leaves in the winter but not spots. The whole leaf generally turns red or the majority of the leaf. Spots sounds more like localised stress.

I do believe we are referring to a Hot mediterranean climate here, low humidity, drying winds in summer followed by a long autumn.

In that sort of climate most things with nice soft mesophyllic leaves need about 20% shade (= full sun in more humid climes) and only about 5-6 hours a day of direct 80% sunlight to fulfill all needs

if thats done and water and feeding is kept up the symptomes should reverse. In late autumn with falling temps teh leaves bronze and even start dropping. condiseration should be given to a green house, sunroom or HID lighting over winter to maintain higher temps (Particularly because of the late break to cooler night temps in that part of the country)