The Corroboree
sethomopod

strange critters munching on my acacia

hey there! I bought a couple of nice Obtusifolia saplings off Meanies, (hoping you can help buddy) which were perfectly healthly when I got them. After being in a pot for a couple of months, I noticed 2 leaves fused together, I pulled them apart to discover something has been munching away between the leaves! There was a white fuzzy 'seam' around the area they have eaten, and little black balls just inside the white fuzz. I couldnt find any threads with the same critters.. Anyone seen them before? I'm in North QLD, If that helps. Thanks in advance!

post-5455-1251286247_thumb.jpg

post-5455-1251286625_thumb.jpg

Grubs perhaps? I have seen similar-ish damage on various plants before - certainly I've seen plenty of leaves stuck together by various white fuzzes or webs (more than one type).

maybe try a soap/nico spray if more appear? Perhaps you could substitute Duboisia for Tobacco for an 'Australian' insect obliterating brew...

Good luck, but I'm sure you won't need it as ime Acacias laugh at most bugs (except Gall Wasps!)

Yeah not to sure what they might be there sethmo.. as stiches said they usually laugh at whatever tries to eat them. Even if you lose a leaf or two to whatever it is. Sometimes on other plants, (atm my lemons) when the leaves are stuck together there are spiders living in there, it's their home and possibly a good thing for attacking whatever else comes along to try and munch your plants.

If it progresses further perhaps go down the chemical warfare path or alternatively remove the affected leaves and just keep a look out for anymore similar stuff and just wipe/scrape it off my hand as the plants wouldn't be too big to go over them in that way.

Hope this helps.

Hey Seth, I got a couple saplings too and they have the same sort of thing going on (to a slightly lesser extent). At first it was only the older leaves, but soon after some of the newer growth was being affected. Decided to just keep an eye on it, and it's been about two weeks now since I have noticed anything new. Fingers crossed all's well - but I'm also curious as to the cause if anyone knows.