The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
educate

spawn temperatures

I need some help with understanding temperature influence on growing.

I have found information outlining optimal spawning and growth temperatures for various fungus but I can't find anywhere that says what happens outside the optimal range (on the lower end). Agaricus bisporus, for example states that the spawn tempertures are 25-30 degrees C.

Do spawn cultures just grow slower in lower temperatures or do they just not grow? I understand that if the temperature is on the lower end of the "optimal temperature" it will grow slower, but how about if it is more like 10 degrees lower?

If the spawn lays dormant, then can it later begin to grow when optimal temperatures are reached?

Thanks

I need some help with understanding temperature influence on growing.

I have found information outlining optimal spawning and growth temperatures for various fungus but I can't find anywhere that says what happens outside the optimal range (on the lower end). Agaricus bisporus, for example states that the spawn tempertures are 25-30 degrees C.

Do spawn cultures just grow slower in lower temperatures or do they just not grow? I understand that if the temperature is on the lower end of the "optimal temperature" it will grow slower, but how about if it is more like 10 degrees lower?

If the spawn lays dormant, then can it later begin to grow when optimal temperatures are reached?

Thanks

Hi educate,

in the event of the temp being 10 below optimum the mycelium won't die (some fungi will, but A bisporus won't) as you say, they will just slow down and maybe stop (if it gets even colder ) but should come back when the temps come back up.

the biggest concern is that while the mycelium isn't colonising the spawn it leaves it open to other fungi, bacteria etc. which might in fact love that cooler temp and thrive.

if you can't move them somewhere warmer you could try wrap a blanket around them, or put them in an esky. depending on the size, they can generate quite a lot of heat. just watch out they don't create too much heat. there are also a few teks out there to build fish tank heating devices etc.

good luck.

Edited by watertrade

I'm happy to hear that they have a good chance of surviving. I have seen an aquarium heater setup and I'm 99% sure thats the easiest and cheapest for me.

awesome - that is a big help. Thanks WT