The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
B. Loco

Saffron Dosage - Advice ?

Hi All, there's a few questions I have about Saffron. Just remembered that I have a gram of good quality threads purchased two years ago. I'm going bush with my lady & my best mate for a few days next month, so this is a good setting to try it out.

• Would they still be viable? The jar would only have been opened once or twice, and they have been kept in a dark place all this time

• Can they be steeped in wine (or vodka) for a few days beforehand ? Thinking of 1g saffron to 100ml fluid, and dosing as follows (per person)

1. Holding 17ml liquid in the mouth for five minutes, then swallowing.
  2. Wait 10 minutes, then repeat
  3. Wait 10 minutes then chew approx 1/3rd f remaining wet threads for five minutes

Total consumption per person would be 333mg of dried weight saffron, which according to previous posts (yes, I UTFSE!) will be more than the required dosage, but allow for degradation over the time it's been sitting around.

• And also, how about synergy with the following?

In a practical approach:

* Alcohol?

* Kava?

* Codeine?

* Sceletium? (wary of this combo though)

* Damiana?

* Blue Lotus Wine?

In a theoretical, offshore approach where legal, and strictly for information purposes only:

* Mary Jane?

* Sally?

* Dimitrius?

This will probably be the only experience I will have with Saffron, because I don't know where to get any more high-grade, so it would be nice to have a positive journey.

hahaha no, it's not one of those retreats we're going on. But thanks. :P

12 stamens under the toungue on cid i have heard is very nice. mainly from the overwhelming rush of texture and flavour.

Interesting article for saffron, anyway:

Quality and functionality of saffron: quality control, species assortment and affinity of extract and isolated saffron compounds to NMDA and sigma1 (sigma-1) receptors.

http://www.nextbio.com/b/search/article.nb...l&t0=author

(goes with the more common "crocin may act via the uptake inhibition of dopamine and norepinephrine, and safranal via serotonin (+ GABA-A agonism?) and orally administered crocins are rapidly hydrolyzed to crocetin on swallowing" conclusion).

Edited by Alchemica

fgjf

Edited by Teljkon

Ethanol and water were both used in a paper (with ethanol being the better solvent) so tinctures should be OK. Pentane was used in another, so any non-polar solvent like that, even liquified butane should pull the volatile oil fraction. Still, have no idea if there is any point aiming for an extract - the more manipulation you do could possibly greater the chance that you'll lose some of the volatiles.

The crocins are water soluble, the crotetin and safranal oil-soluble. The volatile oil is apparently full of lots of different constituents (150+) which might have different actions. Just as the other SAB bioassays have been saying, it seems that the full effects require absorption through the mouth lining as the actives are damaged in the digestive tract.

Would be interesting to see how a CO2 extract of saffron compared - http://www.victorie-inc.us/saffron.html

Crocus sativus L. in the Treatment of Mild to Moderate Depression: A Double-blind, Randomized and Placebo-controlled Trial

"The stigma's extract was prepared as follows: 120 g of dried and milled stigmas was extracted with 1800 mL ethanol (80%) by percolation procedure in three steps then the ethanol extract was dried by evaporation at a temperature of 35°–40 °C. Each capsule contained dried extract of saffron (15 mg)" Dose 30mg/day

crocus.pdf

crocus.pdf

crocus.pdf

Edited by Alchemica

fgdfhdg

Edited by Teljkon