The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Salviador

5 htp

So does anyone here have information regarding the slightly more that theraputic doses of 5 htp. Information is scarce, (there's a little on erowid).

Personally, i know of a friends two friends who took 300mg each on an empty stomach after supplementing with related vitamins (b vitamins b6 specifically and other amino acids like tyrosine etc) all week. They said that the effects included muscle relaxation, slightly increased body temperature, giggliness and general high spirits. All in all sounded like what some describe as the mild come up of ecstacy

They then went on to supplement this dose with a subjectively moderate to substantial dose of 14-b. The 5-htp seemed to accentuate the physically pleasurable or more sensual effects of 14b. This was then supplemented further with some nitrous, which so i am told was quite simply the best body load they had ever experienced.

A control experiment was performed in which 14-b and nitrous were imbibed together with lesser results.

5-htp is a serotonin precursor. It can cause serotonin syndrome when combined with prescription SSRI's or Mesembrine containing plants such as Sceletium, etc.

There is also the possibility it may potentiate

psychedelic substances beyond what you might otherwise expect and one might think twice before using it in combination with any MAOIs.

I would do some resesarch before taking high doses to see if there are any applicable contraindications.

I've been using this lately myself. I'm not interested in getting high off it as much as the theraputic effects. What I find is it seems to help somewhat with sleep but does not knock you out like a sleeping pill. It just makes you a little drowsy. It has helped me with weight loss. I lost quite a bit the last few years but got to a plateau where I did not lose any more. Since using 5htp I noticed I'm losing weight again even though I didn't really make much or any effort to diet. In fact, at first I wasn't sure why I was losing the weight but then remembered there was some mention of this in the descriptions. The noticable effects seem to be a mild relaxation.

It's good to know the contraindications. I wonder if it affects psychedelics like psilocybin or tryptamines? Probably will be scheduled by Aussie customs in a short time since it is useful.

Stoney

Personally 50mg of 5-htp is enough to produce a relaxing sleep if consumed an hour or so before planned sleep. Several day-time (~2pm) experiements with 100mg & 200mg where undesirable while working, producing yawning, smiles and general lethargy with 100mg and complete loss of willpower to remain focused with 200mg, at which point I went home and slept.

I find sleep easily infact 100mg of 5-htp is too large a dose if an early rise is required. I also take 1g to 3g of L-Tyrosine on a semi-regular basis (provides longiviety of focus as required).

A curious footnote is that the first time I injested a 100mg dose 5-htp without the interaction of drugs (previous dose had been taken on the comedown of strong lsd which produced a very desirable recovery and plesent sleep) I felt the feeling of tranquill normality, a feeling which at the time seemed very foreign. Excited by the prospect of feeling "normal" constantly I sought out my own supply of the precursor only to find I was unable on subsequent doses to achieve the same feeling. Only at times of emotional duress and with a long abstinence from externally stimulated rises of serotonin am I able to use 5-htp to achieve this near tranquility.

Perhaps the first instance was so profound to me because it was the first time I had felt a sudden rise from day to day levels in serotonin ?

For me, 50mg did nothing. The first time I took enough to get an effect, it was kind of dramatic. It took me 150mg and the next morning I felt so much better like it was the best night's sleep I had ever gotten. I felt good and different all day. I did not have that sensation again except perhaps a little bit and do not always sleep that well after taking it. The first time was best. I take it now mostly for the weight loss. The sleep aid part is minor anymore.

Interesting!

It sounds very similar to the loss of "magic" from MDMA after repeated use.

Shulgin said "You're reminded of it...but can never really experience it again..." or something along those lines.