The Corroboree
Pacha

ID please

Question

Howdy!

First post here. Came a cross this spiny friend, any idea?

post-6367-1247696411_thumb.jpg

post-6367-1247696435_thumb.jpg

post-6367-1247696458_thumb.jpg

Edited by Pacha

11 answers to this question

A very nice looking " Echinopsis Bridgesii" Nice find !!!

Welcome to the forum Pacha.

Just to avoid confusion, this cactus used to fall under the genus (group) Trichocereus but as Mr B said is now Echinopsis.

Might make it easier to relate it to other threads.

Echinopsis Bridgesii is a diffrent plant. Trichocereus Bridgesii was named "Echinopsis lageniformis". To me, it seems like all this renaming just creates confusion beyond imagination. This thread is the living proof. bye Eg

It sure is purdy...don't look like no standard bridgesii to me either, looks alot like the " Killer Green Cactus"

J5.jpg

or maybe even Eileen...be interesting to know of Pachas location and proximity to the plant, as I would most certainly like a cutting.... :wink:

H.

No worries EG. I'm not great with the trichos anyway, the taxonomy is too political for me to be bothered with.

I always find the biologists love to group plant genera where the collectors love to separate them and that's why collectors tend to use older names.

Thanks for letting me know either way.

Is this based on the new lexicon?

It sure is purdy...don't look like no standard bridgesii to me either, looks alot like the " Killer Green Cactus"

J5.jpg

or maybe even Eileen...be interesting to know of Pachas location and proximity to the plant, as I would most certainly like a cutting.... :wink:

H.

I am located in the middle east, we have many Trichs growing around. Have a look at my pride and joy:

post-6367-1247731839_thumb.jpg

Edited by Pacha

noice one and the other find amazing,

dont know how much to chop though.....

Hi Kanye! I think that taxonomy should be as simple as possible. Im not a friend of the renaming. Sure, some of the Trichs clearly belong into Echinopsis! Especially the clumping ones. But Trichocereus Bridgesii is none of them. If you ask me, you have been right with the answer "Trichocereus Bridgesii". I dont have the new cactus lexicon yet because its too expensive. Maybe i buy the new edition in 20 years if they take the non-clumping Trichs out of Echinopsis again! ;-)

Pacha, please stop talking about making cactus tea here. The reason has been discussed a few times recently. Just try a search about "Potency" and "Ingestion" or something like that and you´ll know why. I dont wanna have this discussion every two or three weeks. bye Eg

Edited by Evil Genius

Pacha, please stop talking about making cactus tea here. The reason has been discussed a few times recently. Just try a search about "Potency" and "Ingestion" or something like that and you´ll know why. I dont wanna have this discussion every two or three weeks. bye Eg

I am sorry EG, I didn't know this is such a sensitive issue. I have edited my posts but still have a question, allow me to rephrase it. You can see in the pics of the bridgesii that some of the branches look very healthy while the longer ones in the back seem to be attacked by some sort of illness or parasite. Can you shad some light and explain to me what could inflict such damage?

Thank you

Edited by Pacha

Hi Pacha, thats nothing to worry about. Looks like scars and some minor infections or sunburns that have already healed up. Just leave out the scarred parts. bye Eg