The Corroboree
G*P

Subaeruginosa growing in Maidenii

It's taken me 4 years to realize that one of my fav places for photographing subs, is right under a grove of Maidenii's.

The are is one of the most consistent and abundantly yielding patches i've ever observed.

Does anyone know if they may theoretically contain higher amounts of active chemicals?

I'm very curious as to what would happen if a person with cloning skills grew this particular substrain on composting Maidenii leaves.. I suppose having that particular fruiting strain could be rather cool for enthusiasts who also grew Acacia.

Edited by G*P

Tryptamine spiking of substrate is nothing new and has been discussed a number of times here in the mycology section...things like using phalaris grass, sun dried to achieve a straw like replacement, have read that people have used MHRB mixed into their poo and straw for added tryptamine potency...weather there is any justification for actually doing this hasn't been proved or disproven, due to the limited experiments undergone and varying fruit potency...jury is still out on this one I believe.

H.

Very interesting, GP. It's quite possible that the mycelium is uptaking and converting any tryptamines present in the leaf/bark litter into other goodies. Out of curiosity, are the fungal fruits a normal shape and size for the species?

Tryptamine spiking of substrate is nothing new and has been discussed a number of times here in the mycology section...things like using phalaris grass, sun dried to achieve a straw like replacement, have read that people have used MHRB mixed into their poo and straw for added tryptamine potency...weather there is any justification for actually doing this hasn't been proved or disproven, due to the limited experiments undergone and varying fruit potency...jury is still out on this one I believe.

Not sure why you'd say that, Hunab. Substrate doping has been proven effective at boosting potency by both mainstream scientific research and independent cultivators on a number of occassions. I dunno who's sitting on this jury of yours, but they need to do some reading :P

Edited by FM.

This whole issue creates somewhat of a dilemma in my mind...lets say for example subs are found growing all around Madenii and other active acacia...would the substrate they are growing out of not contain shed Bark and leaves from those trees, well they wouldn't grow there if there is no woody substrate right, so lets assume this is the case...how can we quantify if the mushroom is indeed more potent from converting Madenii bark compared to subs that are using a mixture of pine and eucalyptus as their substrate...also one has to take into consideration fruit size...so, if we find a mushroom of a certain size growing amongst eucalyptus and one the exact same size growing in Madenii substrate...how can we quantify potency against each other...same if we spike our substrate in the artificial grow room with say cubes...how does one know how potent the mushroom would have been without the spiking...hope that makes sense, but when I say the jury is out, it really just is in my mind as to how one can determine potency before and after...seems like a very difficult experiment to quantify correctly.

H.

Indeed it can be difficult to assess. Difficult, but not impossible.

In the scientific literature, the tests were done with chromatographic analysis to determine psilocybin concentration to be far, far higher than the most potent of P. cubensis... or any Psilocybe, for that matter IIRC.

For independent researchers, the answer lies in comparing clones grown in doped sub vs. undoped sub and doing repeated blind testing in various settings with various testers.

Also, I see what you're saying about cubes being variable, but there is definitely a reasonable range of potency. So, when a doped sub produces fruits of Pan cyan or Psilo azure potency..... clearly there is something extra happening.

As far as Acacia maidenii leaf and bark litter actually working.... I'm not too familiar with those plants and it's my understanding that they are inconsistent in potency, so I don't know if there would be enough material present to make a significant difference in the subs, but.....it certainly couldn't hurt their levels :wink:

Repeated blind testing is where it's at I guess...this to me is the only way one gather half decent readings or measurements...so many variables including the taker of the dose's state of mind on 2 or more separate occasions and diet also...fruit size has to consistent...no good giving one blind researcher a large mushroom then the next time it's a different weight or size, and for what it's worth we can only use fruits to measure as psilocybin on it's own is not a measurement...although extracting using 2 separate vessels might give us a better reading of final psilo content per fruit/s...interesting topic with many variables...we need the guy from that show "Numbers" to come and help us with it... :)