The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
shroomy

datura id please

I found this little creature not mor than 100 yards from my house after my 9 year old returned home with two flowers proclaiming how pretty they were ( and yes she does know they are poisness). I think its metal but i am no expert any clues? very nice white flowers indeed daturaplants.jpg

daturaf.jpg

tatula?

it's not tatula as that needs to be purplish to some degree.

If the spines are hard (ie, they hurt if you pick the fruit) then it would be D.stramonium v stramonium f.stramonium

The flowers are too small to be metel or inoxia.

If the fruit slits into 4 even section then my ID is correct. If it breaks apart unevenly then it may be a cross or a wholly different species/varity.

it has the pods of a stramonium. one wonders at the creatures which have been feasting on the leaves.

waterdragon:

it has the pods of a stramonium. one wonders at the creatures which have been feasting on the leaves.

yes if they are the same little shits that keep chewing on my caapi than i would say they are very hard core indeed

Torsten:

it's not tatula as that needs to be purplish to some degree.

ill do the tests tomorrow, by the way do they self pollinate if so ill collect some seed if any one is interested, they really are a pretty flower

All Daturas selfpollinate. In fact, with the smaller flowered ones they usually pollinated before they even open fully.

Our Daturas get absolutely butchered. Ditto for some of the brugs and Iochroma. It's a bug called the 'native datura beetle' or 'native potato beetle'. It produces grubs that look like caterpillar turds (soft dark green) and they can decimate a plant in a matter of a few days. It's a close relative of the highly destructive colorado potato beetle so this should give you some idea of the vigor.

The other bug that loves solanaceous plants is a large orange ladybird. It's a leaf eating ladybird and it tends to eat holes in leaves rather than eating from the edge like datura beetles.

Both can kill you plants in a matter of days.

seen the same one near my house a while back ( growing on the edge of a nature strip pretty much out of no where ) but unfortunatly the seeds pods got eaten out by some bug. ( South East Qld ).