The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Pol

ID please

Question

Subs or not?

Sorry for the blurry images, my camera kinda sucks!

pic1b20090605y.jpg

pic2bk.jpg

pic3bw.jpg

pic2b.jpg

10 answers to this question

is there definite bluing? if so i'd say yes. if not i wouldn't risk it.

is there definite bluing? if so i'd say yes. if not i wouldn't risk it.

Thanks

I'm not planning on risking it.

There is dark blue on the stem, there wasn't when picked

The prints look brown with some blue... but maybe that's just what i want to see haha

what else could they be? gallerinas?

No they aren't galerinas ...there are many Sub look a likes...the gills look to light on yours and so does the print...how long did you let the cap print for...you need to let it print for about 12 hrs at least...the top of caps looks subby and I'm not sure but I think I can see some blueing there...dunno man I don't think so....what sort of environment did you find them in...?

H.

No they aren't galerinas ...there are many Sub look a likes...the gills look to light on yours and so does the print...how long did you let the cap print for...you need to let it print for about 12 hrs at least...the top of caps looks subby and I'm not sure but I think I can see some blueing there...dunno man I don't think so....what sort of environment did you find them in...?

H.

Thanks!!

Ok I only let it print for about 2 hours.... so I will try another print

I think the gills look lighter in the pic

They were growing in garden mulch

If that isn't a sub I will eat my underpants

If that isn't a sub I will eat my underpants

Thanks

Are there any sub look alikes which also bruise blue?

Are there any sub look alikes which also bruise blue?

I'm not an expert - but I don't think there are any that 'bruise' blue - there may be some that appear blue however.

Sounds from all the info you have given like P.Subaeriginosa i.e. growing in garden mulch, presumably woodchip style. The stems of the mushrooms you have picked appear to be blue, as does the edge of the caps and some of the gills. Also the spore prints appear to be the right colour for subs.

One way of identifying P.Sub's is to check and see if they have a separable pellicle... see vid:

Still, can never be 100% sure when looking at pictures online, good to get hold of some mushroom ID books, go out with someone who knows what they are looking for etc.

Nice looking mushrooms anyhow :)

once again we need a clear concise ID page in the mycology section that people can refer to...I see we have one half done but only has pics of subs...and they are in their pristine state...many times people find these mushrooms not in that state so perhaps some photo's of the actually fungus in its other colours and textures when exposed to other conditions...I've seen many many subs that are not in their pristine state but I know they are subs cause I have my eye in for them now...a lot of the photo id questions here for mushrooms appear with a half mangled shroom or shrooms from a blurry shot after the mushroom has travelled home etc...they deteriorate very quickly once picked too.

H.