The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
celestariel

Colonisation issue

Hi guys,

Can anyone help me with some colonisation issues I'm experiencing.

I have a good incubation chamber set up, with the right warmth and darkness.

But it seems that for the 500ml jars I use they colonise in about 12days. The 1000ml jars I use colonise as usual for about 6 days and then just stop dead in their tracks and have no more progress at all no matter how long I wait.

But the other jars in the same environment that are half the size (500ml) keep kicking on happily to 100% colonisation?

Any ideas?

I was wondering if it may be co2 build up or peroxidase or something? Ive tried it with 3 different batches using different syringes, wheat berries and sterilisation and arrive to the same result.

Cheers.

Possibly a gas exchange problem. What are your breathing holes like for both jars? Similar?

If you have no problems with 500 ml jars why don't you just give the 1000's the arse and stick with 500's?

Gen

I have no holes for gas exchange in either size jars.

Is that essential?

Maybe I'l have a crack at drilling one lid on the big jars.

That may possibly be the issue.

Thanks.

jars need 2 holes drilled into the top...then fill one with silicon sealant and place micro pore tape across both the one with silicon is used to inject the innoculant into...the other hole acts as an air exchange hole...best to use 300ml jars as bigger jars tend to stall no matter what IME...1000ml jars are hard to fully colonise period through the WBS drying out before the spores can fully colonise that amount.....either that or they contaminate the other part not colonised...optimal sized is around 300ml to 500ml as it seems to give the myc just enough time to get around the jar before stalling....can depend on the strain too some strains are extremely vigorous and can run around a jar in a week no problems.

H.

Yer... What he said... :D Good luck man. Also please don't drill the holes in the lids while you still have junk in the jars lol

Gen

could it be either a lack of moisture in the substrate issue, or perhaps older dehydrated spores?

could it be either a lack of moisture in the substrate issue, or perhaps older dehydrated spores?

Also a possibility I guess. Problem I have had before. Some one suggested injecting sterile water into my jars but IMO that's a shit idea. If the gas exchange issue doesn't work itself out you could give that a go but as a very last resort. One way of checking moisture would be to quite visibly see droplets of water on the inside of the jar but if they ain't there doesn't mean your jars are dry. Just a rough guide kind of thing.

Personally I would thank my lucky stars I got some colonisation with no contams then go ahead and bulk substrate that bessa :P I am an advocate of the bulk substrates, they are just so much fun. Obviously you are going for a big grow if you are using 1000ml jars, bulk will bump that up 10 fold :P

Let us know how its all going and what you decide to do.

Gen