The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
WoodDragon

Cacti in South Australia

The South Australians here might be interested in a story on ABC's Bush Telegraph, describing a program to eradicate 'cacti' over 400 square kilometres.

Although the species is/are not mentioned, the interviewee seemed to differentiate them from prickly pears, so I reckon that San Pedros would be a strong candidate. The eradication program seems to be going hammer and tongs to get rid of them, so I wondered if perhaps any locals might find that they can get themselves some bulk cactus for the effort of tracking it down.

Seems a shame to waste the material if it is Pedro.

surely its Opuntia?

would be great if it was Trichocereus, but unlikely.

My first thought too was that it was opuntia, but the way they spoke about it I wasn't sure.

They mentioned cactoblastis as a control, and how the conditions probably weren't right for it to survive and thrive in SA, but I got the impression that they were also speaking about non-typical species of cactus in the cactoblastis context.

The trouble is that I had crying twins demanding their bottles so I didn't hear everything they said, and because I have dial-up at the moment I am not going to download the program to listen again.

I'd be surprised it a lot of it wasn't pear, but I really did wonder if there was trich as well, given the way they spoke about the problem.

Perhaps someone here is happy to listen to the last 10 minutes or so and let us know what they find/think.

Would have to be opuntia you would think, although i have heard of a paddock in these parts overun with echinocactus merkeri, i even got a plant off the guy that saw it and took lots of the offending material. Cactoblastis wouldnt be all that effective on trichos and other columnars i dont think. I have seen huge stands of tricho in outback SA during an ABC doco, cant recall what the show was about, something to do with agriculture im sure and the cacti didnt look to be "feral", they were around properties and werent out of control as such...... well, they were out of control, crazy massive outta control :P, but nothing that wouldnt take a day or three to clear up and get rid of if you really wanted to do so.

yep opuntia it is - "wheel cactus" is the problem.

WheelCactus.jpg

Edited by PD.

Yep the problem is prickly pear - it's taking over the Flinder's Ranges. Remote, inaccessible terrain doesn't help in the eradication.

They do full on commando raids to get to it with all-terrain vehicles, absailing down cliffs etc.

Trichocereus may be fast growing vertically, but they don't spread like Opuntias. Cholla and "Prickly Pear" break off and reroot, spreading like a weed. Unless they are disposing of the pieces properly then their efforts may just help to spread the plant further.

For example, taking a golf club and knocking all the pads off of a prickly pear would just allow each pad to grow new roots wherever they landed.

I don't think they'd be going to all that trouble and not doing it as properly as they can. They're hard to kill though, a lethal undiluted glyphosate injection is the way to go I hear.

Birds spreading the seed by eating the fruit is mentioned as a dispersal route but i don't know how easily they'd grow from seed in the wild.

Edited by strangebrew