The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
rogdog

Phalaris aquatica var australia

When is the right season to collect seed from Phalaris? I read on this site, that in Adelaide, Phalaris is an annual plant rather than perrenial. I only obtained the small plants in December, so maybe they were too small to seed over summer, or maybe I prune it too often (every 2-3 weeks). Which season does the plant run to seed in?

I have one Phalaris aquatica var Australis and it set seeds in late summer...I picked them and sent them to a friend in the states but I haven't seen it seed since so I'm assuming it's a summer seeder.

Vigorous grass or what...give it sun and water and it goes off it's brain.

H.

Vigorous! Yep, that describes them well! Any thoughts on the alkaloid profile, last I heard, Marsofold said they were a waste of time.

Edited by rogdog

I know someone who has run an A/B on a huge armful and found a reasonable amount of quite dirty alkaloid after the evap.

I know someone who has run an A/B on a huge armful and found a reasonable amount of quite dirty alkaloid after the evap.

i mentioned this before, and i think it has it's merits.

when i read de korne, i always wondered why he is reporting good effects from phalaris, when all the text books and all the info on the web allways echos, "phalaris, no good, because of gramine"!

than out of a hunch, i checked the solubileties and gramine is not very soluble in shellite and naphta like solvents.

so do, just re crystallise any dirty phalaris goo, in shellite, ought to give one, firstly nice x talls, and secondly, leave more of the gramine behind!

yep agreed ..that's exactly right...you end up with a waxy red/brown goo and it cleans up nicely and smells of the good stuff.

H.

Thanks for the great info. It's so tricky with all the stories floating around the webs to get useful information.

There are better species to go after.

P. Brachy

Or P. Var "Big Medicine"

or Phalaris Var. Yugo Red - For 5MEO.

However even in the "good" strains, the alkaloidal profile can jump around a bit.

However your best bet is on a known clean and potent strain.

Standard P. aquatica or even a seed grown progeny of a good known strain of this is a gamble.

If that particular strain is known clean and potent, and it's def. a clone, then it's better.

-M