The Corroboree
Geebus

Protecting Argyreiya nervosa over colder months...

Hey all! Got some 2-3 week old woodrose seedlings up, one which has opened its leaves. They look very healthy and seem to be going well, just a question. How well will they cope as the months are getting colder now, I live in south east qld. Just wondering if I should start moving the pots inside or whether they will be able to survive outdoors. Help would be appreciated :)

On a side note:

I've been hovering over these forums for months now and thought it might be time to start participating in some of these discussions. Everyone here appears to be kind and friendly people and I'd like to become more involved and hopefully meet some new friends. I have heard you guys have camping trips or something every so often (where plants are traded and what not) so I would love to know if and when another one of these 'events' occurs in queensland.

Anyway nice to meet you all, hopefully I can provide some interesting discussion in the future.

Peace.

I recently germinated about 20 of these plants and they have all begun to shoot out some main heart shaped leaves...I have them all in pots and am going to just leave them outside where they are...I don't think winter will fuck with them too much ...mine are growing pretty fast actually and it's quite cold now so they look like they will do okay all through winter...dunno about frosts though but I doubt you get frosts where you are ...I'm way south of you so you have a better chance...I wouldn't worry to much about em if I was you...unless someone else here has some experience with em over winter I'd say they would sweet to leave outside.

H.

Mine survived a perth winter just fine. Actually come to think of it, it's pretty much laid dormant since then.. :S but that is more likely to be a result of my gardening skills

I have had mine for about 2(?) years and they have survived over winter fine, I am just about on the nsw/vic border and am close enough to the coast not to recieve frosts - I don't believe they survive frost however being a tropical plant. Mine have also survived bugger all care over the summer months, often surviving very little watering. I'm actually amazed that they have survived.

I kind of gave up on them a little when after doing a little research via the search here that they wouldn't flower this far south... I vaguely recall something being discussed about their southern limit for flowering but couldn't tell you where that was.

I think your plants will thrive in southern Qld...

Further I recall discussion around the plants not doing alot above ground, (when in pots) until the root system has found it's limits in the pot - also they do much better in the ground. This is all from memory right now and you would need to UTSE to find out more acurate info than is contained in my head.

Hope this helps

Hey Geebus, I live in Townsville where it grows wild to the point that it is becoming a pest.. There are some massive specimens up here, especially where I grew up at Alligator creek, where it is unfortunately wreaking havoc. I must remember to take some pics, they are pretty impressive...

Townsville can have some pretty low temps now and again, as low as Brisbane.. rare and short, but enough to do damage to cold sensitive crops/plants. The plants up here have all gone thru these temps and done well enough to become a pest.. Unless it is prolonged extreme cold, I'm pretty sure you don't have anything to worry about, Just as all the other guys have said already..

Heres a coupla pics of some seedlings that I have...

post-5455-1242707011_thumb.jpg

post-5455-1242707062_thumb.jpg

post-5455-1242707115_thumb.jpg

Ah very nice, just what I wanted to hear! :) I doubt we will get any frost this year but stranger things have happened :P So for now I'll keep the pots where they are, in the semi shaded area under the carport. If we happen to get frost I'll just move them inside then. Thanks for all your help guys!

Actually while I'm here, I'd also like to know when the best time would be to transplant into the ground? As was mentioned above regarding the root system I dont want to move them out of pots until the roots are fairly established.

But all in all these babies are doing quite well thus far, I wish I could say the same for my rivea though...

Anyways I appreciate the help guys.

Peace.

Well mine are all in pots still and will stay in them till very early spring then they can go in the ground and go crazy....springtime man chuck them out in the earth in springtime even very late winter will do.

H.

Alright, sweet I'll do that then, now I just gotta play the waiting game. Thanks Hunab.

Oh and Sethomopod, those woodrose look beautiful, I pray mine survive long enough to look like that :)

Thanks all for the advice.

Peace.

whats the white medium in the pots?

t s t .

It's Perlite, Mainly for the aesthetics, only a cm or two, and a good potting mix underneath. I just had a bit lying around and threw it on to make it look a little nicer, Haven't gotten around to buying nice stones yet... And yes, It does blow around when dry and exposed to winds, I moved em to take the pics,

where they sit normally I don't have this prob... :wink:

This plant cannot take frost or cold.

So it can be brought indoors. However it will not flower in a small or even a "large" pot. I think you need a garbage can sized container to make it flower.

It would in theory be possible to keep it in a 5 gallon pot indoors, if it's frost outside, then put in in the ground, when warm enough, and flower that season.

I am not familiar enough with your region to give you better advice.

Maybe a green house would be a solution.

Yeah I was considering building a greenhouse, but I don't think it's really that necessary, as soon as spring comes my babies are goin in the ground :P

Peace.