The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
FancyPants

Penis plant?

Question

Was killing time in a Western Sydney shopping centre yesterday and found a little nursery/garden store where I found this for $30. Thought it looked like a monstrose and though $30 is a bit pricey but I liked it anyway even if it wasn't anything special. It looks so wicked weird hehehe. The lady said "penis plant" in hushed voice sort of like she was embarrassed to say it. She said she couldn't remember species or anything off the top of her head. Maybe didn't want to say. Anyway enough babbling... pics!

th_IMG_0326.jpg

th_IMG_0327.jpg

I'll be sticking it in some sunlight because I don't think it got much at the shop. That's what I should do, right?

7 answers to this question

I'm shite with IDs but it looks quite like a little TBM.

Looks a little dehydrated and that might be the start of some scale on there too.

Give it a drink, some sun (dont let it burn), rub off that scale and spray the affected area with some white oil.

All speculative but someone who knows will chime in if im wrong.

Peace

yep...tbm ..nice find for 30 bucks.

H

^^^ I had a giggle at that too. First monstrose I've seen in flesh and I didn't realise how anatomically similar they looked... spines and knobs aside :P

Thanks ME and Hunab :) I'll get on to that oil and scale tomorrow and I'll stick it somewhere in partial shade. Already watered it.

Another quick question, is this pot it came in fine for it for a little while? I've run out of bigger pots and need to get more. I've even used a Coles store plastic handbasket to put a couple of cacti in because I only had that crappy Bunnings cactus mix available and figure those baskets should increase the drainage. They're also handy for me to move them around the verandah.

you can leave it in the pot it's in for now...repot it in very early spring with some nice free flowing sandy, vermiculite and perlite soil and stick it in full sun and she will get lottsa pups and go off...they are very tasty ...I remember Sina saying that 2 mature pups was enough for a bus ride.

ROFL sounds great! Thanks Hunab :)

Hunab, it seems there are two takes on TBMs, some say full sun [like you] , some say partial shade might be better... What should I do. 2/3 of my own own TBMs have started pupping and I am a very happy guy :)