The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
TheDudeAbides

Mushroom ID ?

Hey everyone was just swimming at a public pool and 30 meters away found these little chubby ones look pretty lethal please help me ive tried looking around on the internet a bit just need some more help cheers... im trying to get the pics up but for some reason there aint working ill keep trying

Hi Mike! Its hard to ID a almost dried mushroom but it looks like a Lepiota or Macrolepiota! Some of them are very toxic and some of them are edible! bye Eg

hey i did see these when they were fresh but i forgot to take em they definatly look more like Macrolepiota

You saw them fresh?

There have been a lot of Lepiota/Macrolepiota/Chlorophyllum popping around now, it\'s their season. These are a couple i saw fruiting just over the road:

whiteprh.jpg

They probably are Lepiotoid as EG suggests, if they were small (under 10cm cap) then probably Lepiotoid, if they were large (over 10cm) probably Macro/Chlor. The most common one in Sydney is Macrolpeiota clelandii.

Edited by Undergrounder

Did you dig up for a possible volva? They sure look similar to some Amanitas . Did you smell them?

Undergrounder, this rather looks like the white version of Amanita virosa or maybe even amanita verna! Dude, dont eat that thing! Its one of the deadliest mushrooms that exist! That rounded tuber looks very typical for amanitas! This kind of mushroom causes most of the lethal mushroom intoxications worldwide! We in germany never collect shrooms that look similar to them because the risk is too big to end up in a pine box! The people who die from Amanitas in germany are mostly russian immigrants because they have similar edibles in their country and dont know the toxic lookalikes! I have the feeling that you have some basic knowledge about mushrooms! But if you have this kind of Amanitas in your country, its very risky to go after them! bye Eg

Edited by Evil Genius

Thanks for the warning EG, i don't know for sure what exactly it is, i thought Macrolepiota (although couldn't place it from there... dolichaula?) because they are everywhere at the moment, and i just presumed it was another one of them. I didn't even consider Amanita.. and don't worry i wouldn't even dare eat any of the edible Macrlepiotas because of the ID problems, i don't know if anyone here in Aus does.

mutant: no it didn't have a volva, i did smell it and it had no smell. Didn't bruise yellow or red, growing in litter under Eucalypts, gills free or just adnexed, about 10cm wide. If you have a better idea of ID that would be great.

Anyway I don't think its A. verosa or verna or any of those deadly Amanitas, for a start you can see on the underside shot that the veil coming away from the gills is mealy and doesn't leave an obvious ring, whereas on an those deadly white types you'd expect the veil to tear away almost in tact and leave a large, obvious ring. Also no volva, and i don't think a universal veil (although they were all fairly big).

... Edit: Thanks you two, you got me thinking and i think you solved it for me, i think its probably Amanita ananiceps, which fits all the other details i have for it (no smell, no obvious bruising, large bulbous base, grows under Eucalypts, mealy texture and veil fragments).. I've found A. farinacea before in this area but not this one if it's right.

Edited by Undergrounder

Hi Undergrounder! I´m glad you responded! :P I was a little bit concerned! Yeah, seems like thats the one! bye Eg

Edited by Evil Genius

For the OP: I took a pictures of the REAL Macro/Chloro fruiting locally to me, and looking at the way the stipe browns with age they look virtually the same as yours. I think they're Macrolepiota clelandii

macrochloro1.jpg

macrochloro2.jpg

I can't really say which species, because I am in southern europe, the old continent and you're in Australia, the first continent that formed, heh.

Still it really looks like the deadly amanita Amanita verna or A.verna var. decipiens. This also looks like a series of less know amanitas of which some are edible like Amanita ovoidea, A.strobiliformis , A.solitaria etc.. all these have that mealy thing, it's remains of the 'sack'.

Well most don't dare to eat this or any white amanitas, but I eat both macrolepiota procera and other big macrolepiotas and A.ovoidea, even though the latter is not my best choice. Almost every amanita has a volva, it might be torn off in this specimen, and it should have some odor, propably fishy, bruise it with some knife and smell again. In some amanitas the volva and ring are very fragile and don't last too much.

Beautiful find nevertheless... I have only seen a spring amanita [its spring here] once

Hi mutant i'll have another look if it's still there but i'm pretty sure it had no volva, Amanita ananiceps doesn't have a volva, or smell (i snapped it, tried to bruise it and smell it), and it fits. I was actually surprised by the lack of smell because it didn't even smell mushroomy or pleasant, it just had no smell at all. But this all fits ananiceps so i'm pretty confident now..

Here in Aus we don't have many old world species at all, we share more mushrooms with South America from the old Gondwanaland. The only European species we have have all been imported, including unfortunately the deadly Amanitas. That said, we still have lots of things that look similar, like this M. clelandii vs. your procera, your A.ovoidea vs. our A.ananiceps, your Coprinus micaceus vs. our C. truncorum etc. etc.

Hmmm this is really interesting as it has to do with biology and evolution... the big picture... You also have some amanita muscaria lookalikes in oz or I am wrong?

Edited by mutant

We do have A.muscaria here mutant, it was one of the mushrooms that got brought here by early settlers in pine plantations.. one of the few mushrooms we've 'exported' (not intentionally) is Aseroe rubra

yeah Aseroe rubra is a fantastic mushroom have seen it in photos before, I have only seen Clathrus rubber and Phallus in the filed. I also know you have imported amanita muscaria [why else would you ban muscimole?] but I was talking about some muscaria lookalike , but with no warts and no ring or something, been a long time I came upon it on the net. There's such a species in the US too I think...

possibly mutant but i haven't seen it... i haven't heard of any real lookalikes of A.muscaria here but could be :scratchhead: