The Corroboree
blip

My halfassed attempt at a growth log 2.0!!

Edited by lsdreamz

Nice pics mate nice healty seedlings

do you just keep these out in the sun to make them germinate? i have never ever been able to make a single cactus seed germinate! how hot is too hot? looks like you have got the hang of it pretty well!

Edited by lsdreamz

Nice stuff Mr dreams, good to see ya got them seeds down so fast ;)

Edited by lsdreamz

Looking good man...as they get a little older I find its better to bottom water them but I dont think you can with those containers as they don't have holes in the bottom...give them a mist every other day with a spray bottle...don't use any ferts yet man its totally unnecessary. When you feel confident enough you can get your self some Bonsai tweezers from a bonsai nursery and then start to prick out each seedling very carefully to put into their own pots. I've been pricking out 3 at a time and putting into small pots where they stay now for year or so..if you are going to prick out 1 per pot then you will need a huge mount of pots so that's why I prick out 3-4 and put em in that way. make up a more nutrient rich soil for the transplant pots and don't use ferts...honestly they don't need it at all for a long time yet.

post-4860-1238976496_thumb.jpg

Bonsai tweezers...so really very useful..they have long nose's and a small digging shovel at the back..perfect for delicate transplanting.

post-4860-1238976745_thumb.jpg

IMG_1731.JPG

IMG_1730.JPG

IMG_1731.JPG

IMG_1730.JPG

congrats on the success so far lsd :) looking good!

I like how about 6 of those psych0's are all lined up like a defensive line or something :P keep an eye on em, they could be up to something.

congrats on the success so far lsd :) looking good!

I like how about 6 of those psych0's are all lined up like a defensive line or something :P keep an eye on em, they could be up to something.

Once you get them going......when they hit about the 6- 7 cm stage, plant them with a mix of good compost, worm castings AND mycorrhizal fungus. Any reputable nursery should be able to supply this (or look online). This is an amazing thing. In test groups we did in our landscape Co. plants that were treated with the mycorrhizae developed root systems up to 200% + greater than plants planted without it. (3 year test).

This most definitey pertained to my cactus as well. I got 2 feet!! of growth (average/ year) on my Macrogonus and over 2.5 feet on the Penis and Tom Juul's...only about 1.5 -2 ft on the Peruvians.... VS only approx. 1/2 that on the un treated cactus.

Formula; about 35% perlite - 10- 15% Mycorrhizae (make sure and make some good root contact) 35% good organic compost w/ good humus content- 10- 15% worm castings. water only when dry for a couple days. then soak it with (preferably) distilled water with grow max sea weed / or fish emulsion and a minimal amount of shultz or similar cactus fert. Also.... cool night time temps. ....Below 70 f. stimulates growth in Trichocereus cactus. In dry climates spritz cactus with a little water NOT ALOT at night as they drink through their spines. rejuvenate the top 13- 14 cm of soil w/ compost/ castings etc. yearly.

Mycorrhizae is king! for any shrub, tree or vegetable and should be implemented in any growing soil.

Happy growing!!

Hey nice info there Toby...would be good to put that into the growing tips thread in the Ethno section.

H.

Nice work. I like the way you areole grafted the root section on the same stock, great idea.

I've read aluminum foil isn't the best to use on the inside of a grow cabinet/tank as it can cause hot spots, burning plants if your unlucky, white paint or 'panda film' is better and possibly more reflective too.

Edited by lsdreamz

dude I got stacks of peres that just need re-kindling if you want em... they just don't die, mine were out all summer on a scorching deck but once placed back inside under lights they will just fire up again

let me know your address if you want them

peace

meanies

Edited by lsdreamz

You can use the fish emulsion as well as a full spectrum fertilizer, just use them in small, maybe only half doses and don't fertilize every time you water and never in the dormant season. in fact it's smart to water only 2-3 times in the winter (depending on how long winter is where you are) I let mine go dormant with only the light and daylight hours that exist, no supplemental lighting. Also, if you have a high alkaline water supply and can't used distilled water, you can add 1 tablespoon of white vinegar to 2 gallons of water. Lots of minerals in the water can coat roots hence blocking nutrient supply.

Also remember that mycorrhizae is not a fertilizer it's an innoculant. You just need to watch out to not burn your young plants with too much fertilizer.

I'm sorry, I should be more clear. No don't use any fertilizer, (full spectrum) AT ALL until they're about 5-6 cm. And then half strength. you can spray a little half strength sea weed (maxi-crop) on the little guys OCCASIONALLY.

Edited by lsdreamz

Why does the fish tank need lining..??

I have all my cactus seedlings inside a fish tank with no lining what so ever and they are just as happy as yours.

oh and if you want to bottom water them just make some holes in the sides of the containers at the bottom and flood the tank with water up to those holes so it seeps in...don't flood the tank again till all the water has dried up and the surface starts to look dry....I flood mine about every 2 -3 weeks and that's all they ever need.

H.

Edited by Hunab Ku

Edited by lsdreamz

I would prefer to keep as much light in as possible, just something i would prefer to do even if its overkill or not necessary :P

Yeah that's OK. If you want to keep 'em growing, just give them at least 16/18 hours a day of light. This is probably not a bad idea for your seedlings. I just prefer to let my bigger guys go their natural route with the dormancy period. For as delicate as these seedlings seem to be, It amazes me they make it in nature.......especially the lophs!!! Hence my opinion not to baby them to much.

Panda film is a type of reflective sheeting used for grow rooms. Its white on one side and black on the other, hence the panda. The white is the side you want on the inside of our grow room/cabinet. The black goes on the outside. I think its black on the outside to absorb any heat and light that didn't get reflected by the white layer.

I wasn't able to find it at bunnings, so I just grabbed a can of gloss white spray paint for the inside of my cabinet. I figure you don't want to paint the tank so you can use for something else later. Panda film is more of a specialty hydro product so you probably won't find it at hardware stores. Check out hydroponic shops for it. If they don't have panda film they will have some form of reflective sheeting that you could use.

I would use flat white over gloss as it contains little or no light absorbing pigment, therefore flat white paint absorbs virtually no light, it is almost all reflected. It is also whiter than gloss and because it contains less varnish inhibits the path of reflective light much less.

Put the fish tank into a white styro foam container...done.

At least you don't ruin the tank with some crappy paint job...you might wanna use it for something else at a later date like keeping reptiles or frogs maybe.

H.

Edited by lsdreamz