The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
zetetic

HELP! My Oldest khat tree is dying

hey guys, zetetic has let me use his account to ask a question

i've had to move house recently and that ment pulling up a khat tree that i had only just planted about a month before. I've had it for 2 years now and grown it from cutting, it was just starting to pump out more shoots and was looking quite healthy, but when i planted it in the new garden it started to droop badly, the little shoots doubled over and the leaves are curling. last night my housemates told me that everything they planted in the ground where khat was had died. So i pulled it out of the ground (freeing up the roots and removing the dirt (not to much, just shaking off the loose stuff)) and potted it with fresh potting mix. today its drooping a bit more and im worried.

im not much of a gardner and have never seen this happen to any of my other plants before, does anyone know how i might save her?

thanks in advance

%simon

it just sounds like transplant stress

when you move a plant you get rid of alot of its root mass so it aint getting as much water as its sued to

just water it lots and it should pick up in a week and do fine...

and yes dont plant it where things die. could be for a number of reasons but best not to take the risk

Maybe trim back some of the foliage so the plant doesn't have as many leaves to feed water to.

Also,Yates has an anti-transpirant spray,which I've found is excellent for transplanting and cloning.

Good luck simon!

THANK YOU ALL!!!!!!

she got a good dose of rain today, i'll give him a prune tonight. this is my baby, im so worried about her right now, thank you all for your help!

Guest electro

cut it back as much as possible !

and very quickly measure the ph of the soil (tester kits available at nurseries) .. compare it to what the old soil was / sources detailing how acidic / alkaline khat likes it's soil /...

if it's too basic add acid (lemon juice ?) if its too acidic add (lime?).

make sure it still has lots of drainage and give it LOTS of water, just dont let it sit in pools of the stuff or you will rot it.

yeah, cut it back heaps. watering it too much can cause rot, so you're better off reducing the strees by reducing foliage area and watering normally.