The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
SirLSD

transplanting 4m trichs? tips?

well after several years in the ground i have to move house. i have a couple of pachanoi that are about 4m tall. should i dare try to transplant them as a whole? or do i need to cut off all the branches and then plant the branches seperately and dig up and replant the stumps? or does anyone want to buy some nice long branches?

will post pics soon for those interested.

Edited by SirLSD

I have transplanted one large pachanoi. It was only around 7ft tall with 4 main arms and a few small pups. I dug out the main root ball which wasnt all that large really although i severed a lot of roots in the process and left a fair amount of the soil intact around it. I dug a hole large enough to accomodate the roots which btw was fairly heavy red clay soil, plonked her in and backfilled. This was done around march or april and i was worried about rotting due to the coming winter but i had nothing to worry about as it took off fast and didnt even require staking to hold it up. It has now been almost 3 years since it was transplanted and is going great, not one problem. If i were in your shoes i would try and transport and transplant keeping the plant whole, just remember when they are of such size they are VERY heavy and during travel will need support on the limbs as they bounce around heaps which can make snap like a twig.

Hope that is of some help :)

It's doable as if it's only a few years old the root system won't be that deep or extensive, depends how bad you want it. You'll need at least 3 people as weight aside the middle needs supporting, a trailer that long and plenty of thick carpet to put between branches.

The stump is really what's most important to keep. Little power houses they are, even if only a few years old.

I managed to transplant a Trich. of similar height a while back. I used two long pieces of dowell, i tied them on either side of teh cactus like a splint.