The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
strangebrew

Tyre tubs

Since experiencing stability problems with plants more than 6ft in height with regular pots I've wanted something lower & wider & preferably cheaper & lighter than 1/2 wine barrels that would allow for more natural lateral root growth.

The solution - tyres! A rim was cut out, a piece of acrylic siliconed over the base & holes drilled.

post-608-1231243907_thumb.jpgpost-608-1231243984_thumb.jpg

Before & after.

post-608-1231244295_thumb.jpgpost-608-1231244417_thumb.jpg

Some plastic lining was used as a precaution against the possiblity of leaching toxins and for an easy raised bed on poor soil or in high rainfall areas both rims could be cut off.

post-608-1231243907_thumb.jpg

post-608-1231243984_thumb.jpg

post-608-1231244295_thumb.jpg

post-608-1231244417_thumb.jpg

post-608-1231243907_thumb.jpg

post-608-1231243984_thumb.jpg

post-608-1231244295_thumb.jpg

post-608-1231244417_thumb.jpg

That's cool, I often use a tyre or two when planting out in the ground, obviously with the bottom unsealed, seems to speed things along and help with water as you say as a raised bed. I have had trouble with the soil not quite compacting in the rim and causing the water to run away from the plant. I should have just cut the side of the rims out as you have done here! So simple I'm kicking myself I didn't think to do that! Note taken... Bathtubs from salvage yards are great pots for cacti too, not that heavy the fibreglass ones and about 15-20 a pop. Tho somewhat ugly I suppose.

Great ideas guys!!!

I've had my eye on an old metal bathtub for awhile. I was thinking of drilling holes but I guess as long as it was fixed so the slope was right and drainage was towards the plughole, this may not be necessary.

Mine have no drainage holes and this (counter-intuitively) seems to be an advantage. Even the plug holes are blocked. True, the soil is totally sodden in winter but in summer it's a god send. I've never had any problems with cacti sitting water logged for long periods of course milage may vary and my rainfall is 1/3 lower than adelaide. But plants in plugged bathtubs are the fastest growing with the most shapely form (fat all the way up). After 2-3 years I dig em out and plant in the ground cause they seem to stop growing pretty much aka the plant you have with so many flowers in a pot. If you have troubles post planting you can put holes in the side with a nail punch.

BTW, what did you use to cut the tyre? Stanley knife?

Yeah a stanley but I wouldn't recommend it, one slip and arteries are severed.

Go for a small serrated knife & use like a saw.

P.S. As long as you replace the top few inches of soil in a rootbound pot once a year I've found you can keep things growing quite well.

Edited by strangebrew

if ur not willing to put the plant in the ground, but want maximum growth, place makeshift tyre pot on worked soil, with a layer of roadbase/blue metal on the surface, and have the entire bottom of the 'pot' missing, so your planting into the soil but still with a pot around it.

when i wnat to move just cut off roots by working soil around underneath tyre/pot.

allowing for that root growth will give u maximum growth, and cutting the roots back for moving is less of a worry then having it root bound.

just my way of doing it... have done it with cuttings and styrofoam boxes as well. (but just cut massive holes in the base not removed the entire base.

p.s builders trolleys, carpet and rope make moving heavy babies around uite feasible.... transportation via vehicle is a little more difficult lol