The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Salviador

Mocha

Hey guys, this idea came to me when my sister asked me to plant a chocolate covered coffee bean in the ground in the hopes of getting a chocolate covered coffee tree. I was wondering what would happen if you pollinated a coffee tree with pollen from a coco plant?

nothing, i dont believe they are related. although its a nice idea

[ 28. October 2003, 14:43: Message edited by: infinite_monkey ]

but the coffee plant is related to psychotrias.

still, it would not "cross pollinate",

but with genetic engeneering, a piece a piss...

How about a transgenic Psychotriopsis caapiridis? Mmmmm... piece a piss...

theres a plant with fruit that tastes somewhat like chocolate apprently. Anybody know the name?

something with an s i think.

??

interested to see what it tastes like

yup thats the one

cheers

i dont spose anyone has any seeds? i doubt it

also after a tea bush (not teatree) the stuff u drink

camilia serata?

sorry my latin is terrible and thats the best i can remember

p.s. yes i know its in the wrong spot just curious not desperate

[ 28. October 2003, 21:47: Message edited by: smogs ]

I think we used to have a pile of seed we collected out of organic black sapote fruit but not sure what happenned to them.

We might be able to get some plants next time in north qld. tasty fruit.

I actually have a few small year old black sapote plants...

yeah? ive heard mixed reviews on taste...

well if you come accross any i would be eager to get some.

cheers

theyre quite good :)

Theyre related to persimmon and so like tem you let them go squishy soft before you eat them

sprinkle with sugar and or cinnamon, cocoa, vanilla etc

theyre in season now and grow easily from the seeds youll find in the middle of larger fruit

just clean seed and plant in a pot outside, within 1 - 2 months theyll start to come up - same story for most subtropical fruit seeds (Avocado, citrus, jakfruit,Mango, custard apple)

i believe they fruit within 5 years from seed or less by grafted tree. Like persimmon theyre a pretty tree and i hope to put some in where i am

I think they have a decent amount of cold tolerance but dont like frosts so you should have no problem with 20km of the coast in most of temperate australia if this is where you are

keep in a pot for 2 years before planting out

BTW Mocha is a place (city) i think it falls on the southwestern area of pakistan. It was a famous trade city for coffee and thats where the term mocha coffee came from. when Mocha came to be associated with chocolate i dont know

About GE

piss a piss is hardly the way to describe it - they may have mapped the genome but the analogy is to being able to write a book of letters with no punctuation, grammar or pronunciation details in a language you dont understand

Theyve made inroads in deciphering the structire of the language and have made many lucky discoveries of genes that do noticeable things (call it a word) but we still have no clue as to how to turn these 'words' into meaningful sentences as like with words genes take on a context depending on what other genes they are put next to and how they interact. their importance is amplified, diminished or blocked and as yet we have no true rules that we can use to predict what happens.

what GE does these days is still mainly adding, deleting and moving within, new words to existing sentences then seeing how it changes the 'meaning ' or expression. And transferring meaningful constructs from one species to another, even then the language of DNA is not REALLY universal as different groups (mammals, insects, plants, fungi) have their own dialects in the form of slightly different downstream processing mechanisms and each species has its own accent in the form of prefferred Codons (prefernce for one of several base triplets encoding for an amino acid), compatibility means more effective transfer of information

what might be easier than putting chocolate into coffee would be beefing up the caffeine content in chocolate - as it is already there.

This would be a good thing i think as id much prefer a cup of strong hot choc in the mornings (mexican style) than gut rot coffee with all the other irritating junk in it.

maybe the tryptophan, choline and tyrosine contents could also be increased so there are different varieties for night and day

The criollo variety of cocoa bean contains as much caffeine as coffee. Try looking for single bean brands that come from Central America and the Caribbean.