The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Yawning Man

Heavy Metals Family Tree

Hey Sab'ers!

This Tree comes from a Doco called METAL: A Head Bangers Journey, so it's not an Official tree, but it comes close. Enjoy!

post-4261-1229085522_thumb.jpg

Nah dude, that is SOOO fucking wrong...

I was the start of metal...

\m/

hahah

Gen

One of the chicks working at the uni bar the other week, looked just like Angela Gossow :wub:

digging up some metal roots myself............. dusting off good old Bolt Thrower!

I imagine 'Noise' wouldn't even have been considered :(

Hmmm not to sure. Speaking of noise metal do you know Minus? A noise metal band from Iceland. At least the first album was noise metal, some of the best i've ever heard. They went really soft (cock) with their next two albums.

I'd like to see the tree in 10-20 years to see what interesting roads metal has traveled.

cheers

p.s. Genesis you create a whole metal genre of your own "Dweeb Metal" lol.

nah, it's been strictly american noise for me up til now

I suppose the radsomely hardcore noise-listeners would shit bricks if they heard it being categorized as 'metal' though. It does sound kind of out of place (funnily enough).

I'd like to see the tree in 10-20 years to see what interesting roads metal has traveled.

I wonder if they'll end up disregarding all the pedantic little sub-genres that we've gone through..

Where are Queens Of The Stone Age and Tool?

i've never heard of 'new wave of american metal', but really, those are the sorts of bands which come under the term 'metalcore' and what it's got as 'metalcore' is really just hardcore... right? not that theres any point in saying this, genres always seem to be redefined, but i would consider that quite an error from where i'm standing.

Yeah i would like to know where tool, isis etc sits. I always thought they were in alternative metal?

Yeah i would like to know where tool, isis etc sits. I always thought they were in alternative metal?

Hey Lampy

Last time i checked Isis were classified as Post-Rock/Post Metal. One of my top 3 bands of all time. And as far as a i know Tool are Progressive Metal.

Hey Chullii, any recommendations of some good Noise bands. And i didn't realise Noise fans didn't like it being classified as metal.

cheers

Edit.

Edited by peaceful_son

Hey Chullii, any recommendations of some good Noise bands. And i didn't realise Noise fans didn't like it being classified as metal.

I suppose it has something to do with the baggage that goes with the endless different opinions and misconceptions about the genre. It sort of does suck though when people around you hear the stuff you dig, and just dismiss it as something that it really kinda sorta isn't.

I should stop though. It just starts to get ridiculous.

Ummmmmmm... you after ambient noise, huge brutal noise, or epic foundation shaking noise?

I suppose it has something to do with the baggage that goes with the endless different opinions and misconceptions about the genre. It sort of does suck though when people around you hear the stuff you dig, and just dismiss it as something that it really kinda sorta isn't.

I should stop though. It just starts to get ridiculous.

Ummmmmmm... you after ambient noise, huge brutal noise, or epic foundation shaking noise?

Ah so noise is pretty much any type of music with weird sounds or music that can't really be categorised? Umm yeah all of the above, but especially ambient/chillout bands if you know any!

cheers

Edited by peaceful_son

hahaha, i guess you could say that.

I'm listening to "Conqueror" at the moment, a record by the band Jesu. It's pretty big, but very relaxing i find..

Nadja is a sort of similar band.

Shellac is a pretty good noise rock band ("1000 Hurts" & "Action Park" - great records) or anything by Big Black.

SWANS' record "Filth" is absolutely bruuutal as all golly. It almost hurts my feelings to listen to.

I'm not entirely sure, i think you might be after something like Biosphere. They're not really noise per se, but it's very ambient stuff.

Edited by Chullii

hahaha, i guess you could say that.

I'm listening to "Conqueror" at the moment, a record by the band Jesu. It's pretty big, but very relaxing i find..

Nadja is a sort of similar band.

Shellac is a pretty good noise rock band ("1000 Hurts" & "Action Park" - great records) or anything by Big Black.

SWANS' record "Filth" is absolutely bruuutal as all golly. It almost hurts my feelings to listen to.

I'm not entirely sure, i think you might be after something like Biosphere. They're not really noise per se, but it's very ambient stuff.

Ah i've actually heard of Jesu, i've always liked the way it sounds. Jesu. Anyway i'll make an effort to check out those bands. I've also discovered the brilliance that is online radio. On itunes, click on radio and it will list the different genres of music and each of those genres has about 200 radio stations you can listen to. It's fucking awesome, listening to an ambient/chillout station at the moment.

cheers