The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Genesis

Bulk BULK grow...

I was just yakking away with a fellow SAB member and jokingly I said I wanted to do a bulk substrate grow in a 30 litre tub. He bought up some possible problems with this such as surface area to depth, which could limit the fruit and make it essentially a waste of time.

Is there an optimum surface area to substrate-depth ratio when it comes to growing dung dwelling mushrooms?

OR

Does the mycelium act like a root system, absorbing nutrients and moisture feeding it to the fruiting bodies? Thus the tub will continue fruiting till it expends its moisture/nutrient source.

Any ideas lads?

Gen

I know of a 60litre bin that is used to hold the substrate... you need a good back to move it around... ;D

I've read threads where people say they have inoculated large diameter logs and they then have to wait ages (years) for the log to be fully colonised but the log then fruits for years as well. I wonder if it would work the same way with oversize tubs of bulk substrate.

I saw an 80L tub with substrate about a handspan deep and mushrooms the size of a large teacup saucer.

Do I win a prize?

I saw an 80L tub with substrate about a handspan deep

Do I win a prize?

Haha No you lose! So there is a depth to surface area thing going on? A hand span deep isnt that deep. A full 80 litres would have won you many a prize and possibly my respect... Possibly... :P It would also make life a lot easier if you could just grow in buckets, thats if depth to surface doesn't matter...

Any other ideas?

Gen