The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Genesis

Simple Spore prints

Need to make a few spore prints. I know like 40 ways of doing it but I am REAL lazy like.

One way I have heard about is simply taking a piece of foil, swabbing it down with rubbing alcohol(let dry), place your mush cap gills down, cover with a glass and let sit for 24hr's. When done fold it up all nice-like to protect it from contams then your laughing.

Just wanted to know, as I have no rubbing booze on hand is it possible to use Glen 20? Or would it fuck up my spores?

If Glen 20's given the thumbs up then I think this would be the easiest way to take a print EVER...

Just trying to make life that bit lazier, one shortcut at a time :P

Gen

You don't even need any disinfectant if the foil is fresh, just be sure not to touch the surface of the foil where you plan on dropping your print. The rolled fresh foil is pretty clean.

I read somewhere that the manufacturing process for foil produces a product which is initially near sterile. I think heat was involved.

Gave it a burl. Hope it works. I guess I wont know if its sterile till I give it a burl. WAH WAH!

Gen

*EDIT*

Well kids... It didn't work. I assume that the cap wasn't mature enough or possibly was sitting to long in the pack. Also has any one had issues with taking prints from pre-packed, store bought mushies before? As in achieving sterile/viable prints to grow from. I figure they are by far a better option then taking prints from wild specimens, but, as I offten am, I could be wrong.

Gen

Edited by Genesis

Assuming you mean Agaricus Bisporus, then store bought mushies are very difficult to grow.

Ahh I was just referring to taking viable prints from any of Safeways finest. I got a punnet of shitakes the other day and, as I am a fan of asian cooking, I thought I would try and take a print and maybe try a sawdust-cake type grow. I read an article the other day about produce in supermarkets being CRAZY old and it being treated with chemicals as to give said veggies a longer shelf life.

I wasn't sure if this was the case with store bought mushrooms. Just generally curious if any one has started with a Safeway punnet of mushies and ended up with a fine crop. Also I was going to try taking a print from a few Enoki mushrooms. Just cause they look cool, lol.

I have altered my lazy man's method too. I ended up cutting bits of card into squares, wrapping them in foil and sterilising them in the oven. In fact I should probably check on then now :S

Must confess... I had to look up Agaricus bisporus, lol. If you said button mushie or portobella I would have been right :P

Gen

Genesis, I was happy to read this post because I have been thinking of playing around with some supermarket mushies myself.

I'm on holidays and have some spare time, so I thought, "why the hell not!" On top of that, it should be a bit of a learning curve for me.

I was looking at some field mushrooms today at the market and some of them had not opened up completely yet. I thought about buying those ones and leaving them out on the bench for a day or two to see if they open a little more.

I have to laugh, because I'm a little lazy too because I didn't get around to posting the same message to get some ideas..until now

I have to laugh, because I'm a little lazy too because I didn't get around to posting the same message to get some ideas..until now

I am the voice of the masses :P lol

Gen

yeah ive made thousands of viable prints from foil without even bothering to swipe the foil with alcohol or any other form of sterilisation. Super sterile prints are really only needed if your trying to make syringes, otherwise if your using agar its no big deal -you just sector it out on peroxidated agar.,

For sure, alcohol wipe it.