The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
notguilty

Picture Dump

Because I felt like it. And they look so cute.

Had to many cuttings so pulled this one after it had rooted and threw it in the shed, few weeks later these sprouted. The cuttings still in pots have not sprouted at all? (sorry if I am using the wrong cactiterminology)

I re-potted after they sprouted?

post-4733-1224741178_thumb.jpg

post-4733-1224741317_thumb.jpg

Edited by entheofarm

does your camera have a macro mode? (picture of a small flower). You need to lrn 2 usemacro kthx.

Very nice,in a few months ime there maybe something similar to these 'mouths'.

1000996sy2.th.jpgthpix.gif

hey there,looking very nice my freind,they look great,definatly something to look forward to!!!..sensient

A few months?

A few weeks! Lost one to a hail storm and the other has just gone off! opening as we speak, never seen anything grow so fast.

I completely neglected it, through some grass clippings in a pot and that was it, expected serious rot but the thing (flower) has doubled each day.

there is also a new bud starting up.

wow garbage i only just looked up close at those pics, I wish!

post-4733-1225787706_thumb.jpg

post-4733-1225787829_thumb.jpg

Edited by entheofarm

garbadge are they ur cacti? thats cool. thats how they ripen on the cactus? then split open like that and expose the seed? awesome. i bet the seed would be heaps more viable than when the fruit is pciked before it opens. i hope to one day see that on my collection. i would be worried about predation by insects and birds etc.

make sure u eat the fruit of that cereus peruvianus, though i guess u need a pollinator.im not sure whether they self pollinate. georgeous flowers. haha i was trying to figure out what the last pic on the right was, like some weird cactus bong or something.

I was devastated when the other bud got taken out by hail as it would look fantastic spastic by now

It was known as the bong cactus for about a week but as I said I have never seen something grow so fast, 2-3 weeks start to finish, could it have been the stress and then the nitrogen from the grass? the other cuttings have not produced any flowers and they were the ones left potted outside?

again sorry about picture quality, if I ever wanted a good camera its now. (thanks santa).

post-4733-1225794167_thumb.jpg

post-4733-1225794290_thumb.jpg

Edited by entheofarm

I was devastated when the other bud got taken out by hail as it would look fantastic spastic by now

It was known as the bong cactus for about a week but as I said I have never seen something grow so fast, 2-3 weeks start to finish, could it have been the stress and then the nitrogen from the grass? the other cuttings have not produced any flowers and they were the ones left potted outside?

again sorry about picture quality, if I ever wanted a good camera its now. (thanks santa).

yes,they definately give the the rest of the plant kingdoms flowers a run for their money in terms of beauty and delicateness the ol' cacti. does it have a scent?

no scent yet, I expected something smelly. She keeps opening but nothing to pollinate! can they self pollinate? as in can I brush the pollen onto the stamens? (did i get that right?)

no scent yet, I expected something smelly. She keeps opening but nothing to pollinate! can they self pollinate? as in can I brush the pollen onto the stamens? (did i get that right?)

nah what i mean is u need another cereus' flowers stamens pollen to impregnate the stigma.

its kinky stuff. why i got interested in horticulture to begin with.

Fast flowering indeed,my trichs took an age from wooly areole to flower bud and were only at their best for a few days.

Technique for setting fruit involves two different clones or in my case a clone and two seed grown plants flowering for the first and second time.

For years i tried pollinating the clone among itself without luck but last year a seed grown plant had it's first flower and i got a single fruit.

From that single fruit i raised 1 baby this year!

I had left the pod open on a shelf to dry for about 5 months and the seeds suffered a bit,damping off also wiped out my various seedlings.

This year i bought an Echinopsis of unknown flower colour and as luck would have it the flowering coincided with the first trichocereus flower and so i did a little cross pollinating.

Later blooms i pollinated between Pachanois and got four fruits this year.

The Echinopsis was a light purple so maybe some seed raising needs to be done as it too has a couple of cross polinated berries,they split but not as much as the trichocereus.

The spent trich blooms also seemed to get hotter than perhaps they should do,assisting the pollen up the long tube perhaps?

Echinopsis flowers dry easilly but trichocreus when black and droopy i cut off right back to the ovule but leaving the stigma and style.

If left on the spreading rot causes the fruit to abort.

At least one flower bud aborted but the stem had only just been potted up without roots.

I made the mistake of cutting them down the previous autumn and trying to get a callous through the winter.

Next time they outgrow the greenhouse i will cut them back mid spring.

I only keep the tops now,the ugly stumps and roots get recycled.

Edited by Garbage