The Corroboree
t_tr

Any Ideas about this cutting?

Question

I was given this cutting in about May of this year, finally rooted and should start "puffing" out. The owner had no idea what it was, other than a Trich of some sort. It has very distinct spines compared to my other Trichs. The mother plant is a monster, huge diameter 8+ inches. The flowers are white and resemble most white Trich flowers. I will try to get a pic of a mature column tomorrow and post. Any ideas at this point? This is one of my favorites that I have, but would like to have an idea about its identity. Thanks for the help!!

post-4784-1223522708_thumb.jpg

post-4784-1223522758_thumb.jpg

8 answers to this question

T. peruvianus for sure. Would be interesting to see the older branches to confirm though :)

Thanks Ace! I have been leaning toward peruvianus also. I went through Trout's book and noticed the peruvianus (GF) pics on pages 164-165. The spine variation looks very similar to my cutting. You can really see it in the bottom left pic of the tip on page 164. The plants in the pics are full of water, mine is just rooting and still lean. It will be easier to tell as my cutting roots fully and matures. I was not able to get over and get a pic of the mother. I will try and do that within the next few days. That should make it easier to ID. Any ideas on the (GF) as an ID?

It really hard, next to impossible to narrow it down much more than that unless you have all the collection and hybridization data.

Trichocereus peruvianus is probably all you will ever know to call it.

Thanks for the addition Teotz'! I agree, this plant will never have a "true" identification. Unfortunately, a lot of peruvianus won't with the flood of mislabeled seed and plants in circulation, not to mention the strong influence of environmental factors on the development of these guys. I have read the "How to recognize....." topics and agree with the confusing state of the pachanoi, peruvianus, mac world. I am trying to see what variety this cutting may be aligned with or resemble for my knowledge and comparison purposes. I am mainly just trying to expand my knowledge base of physical clues that help others ID varieties. I appreciate all of the help Ace and Teotz', and look forward to discussing more.

t_tr

Edited by t_tr

t_tr: The spinal distribution on two of the GF pics do look alike. The other GF pics show variation and could be clones and seed grown plants. I really wish those pics were in color! KT mentions the plant growing in the eastbay, man, that's like 10 minutes from me. Another possible id is KK2176. If anyone has color pics of GF clones and GF seed grown plants can you please share them. I think you'll get an ID eventually with the help of this wonderful community.

Thanks for the hope Malo! I attached some pictures that I took of the mother plant. I included a picture of a large offset, new growth (an offset where mine was cut off), spines from the stump, and spines on an older growth offset. It is very interesting, what does everyone think?

post-4784-1223756280_thumb.jpg

post-4784-1223756355_thumb.jpg

post-4784-1223756417_thumb.jpg

post-4784-1223756461_thumb.jpg

Looks a lot like Cuzcoenssis(sp) (kk242) to me.

The new growth has fat yellow spines that turn grey wiht age, the felt on the new areols is yellow and the skin is very glaucus (blue)

Looks, a lot like kk242.

Tell me, did the new spines (yellow) break off very easily?

I have seen this plant and it is definitely not of the cuzcoid complex. The main reason being the spines are not swollen at the base. Also mature spines as seen on the third pic from left are clearly brown. Having seed grown KK242 over the years(yeah, we've all been burned by Knize) this plant does not share the same features.

Looks a lot like Cuzcoenssis(sp) (kk242) to me.

The new growth has fat yellow spines that turn grey wiht age, the felt on the new areols is yellow and the skin is very glaucus (blue)

Looks, a lot like kk242.

Tell me, did the new spines (yellow) break off very easily?