The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Yeti101

Freedom of Religion and Belief in the 21st century

The Race Discrimination Commissioner, Tom Calma, called for as many Australians as possible to become involved in a discussion about the current state of freedom of religion and belief in Australia when he launched the Australian Human Rights Commission’s Freedom of religion and belief in the 21st century Discussion Paper in Canberra today.

“The fundamental human right of freedom of religion and belief is protected by a number of international treaties and declarations,” said Commissioner Calma. “It encompasses freedom of thought on all matters and the freedom to demonstrate and express our religion and belief individually, with others, in private or in public.”

“The intent of this discussion paper is to examine and report upon the extent to which this right can be enjoyed in Australia today by drawing from practical everyday experiences and observations,” said Mr Calma. “This is easy for some, while others feel religion and human rights don’t mix, like oil and water.”

-Human Right Commission Media release, September 17 : http://www.humanrights.gov.au/about/media/...2008/97_08.html

This project is designed to work with faith communities and other civil society organisations to record their concerns and proposed solutions to build a more socially cohesive and harmonious society that protects and promotes Article 18 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights (UDHR) and Article 18 of the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (ICCPR).

How can you get involved?

We invite you to submit a response to issues of Freedom of Religion and Belief in the 21st Century in Australia. In particular we are interested in your responses to any or all of the questions in the discussion paper, as well as any other issues of concern. These questions are intended as a guide only, so respondents should not feel limited by these.

http://www.humanrights.gov.au/frb/index.html

The discussion paper and a suggested template for responses can be downloaded from http://www.humanrights.gov.au/frb/index.html (they aren't hard to find). I've read this discussion paper, and because it's 19 pages long I won't recap everything that's in it, but there are issues that easily relate to what many members think and feel about their spirituality and the law. Issues that are in focus include Section 116 of the Constitution and whether or not it provides enough protection for freedom of religion & belief. Another suggested question to answer in a submission was this : "3. Is current legislation on burial practice and autopsy practice adequate? Are any other of your religious practices inhibited by law, procedural practice or policy (i.e. education or health)?" I would have thought the bold bit was pertinent to some (though not all) members. They are also looking for submissions on whether or not faith based organisations have undue influence in the political process as well as anything else you can think of. So basically they are casting a very wide net.

Anyway, it's worth looking at and I'd encourage people to make a submission. Please note it is not limited to organisations, individuals can and are encouraged to contribute as well.

I think the only way for any legalisation of drugs claim to come from the religious point of view will require the participation of the indiginous people who use it as part of their tradition and even then we can probably only hope as a best case scenario it being legalised for them as seen in the US Supreme Court UDV and NAC cases.

Let Sth Pacificians know they have a chance to have their kava recognised, inform the UDV this is their shot for Ayahuasca, etcetera

I think the only way for any legalisation of drugs claim to come from the religious point of view will require the participation of the indiginous people who use it as part of their tradition and even then we can probably only hope as a best case scenario it being legalised for them as seen in the US Supreme Court UDV and NAC cases.
I agree, but that would be a big improvement on the current situation.
Let Sth Pacificians know they have a chance to have their kava recognised, inform the UDV this is their shot for Ayahuasca, etcetera
That's the general idea, and I hope people here do pass this information on. I don't personally know any UDV or Santo Daime members, but I'm sure someone here does. Realistically the established religions such as the UDV stand to benefit the most from this. However, I think that others here should still contribute because everyone, whether they are a member of these religions or not, has the right to make a submission and have their voice heard.

Everyone who considers themselves a Christian should make a submission on the illegality of the chrism, God's holy oil of annointing. One cannot be a Christian unless they have been properly annointed. This oil is to be used and shared for healing, but Christians cannot make or possess this oil without breaking the law.