The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Auxin

Red blooded Phalaris

I recently gave one of my secret super-dooper fertilizer concoctions to a guy to perk up his flowers, he ended up feeding it to phalaris aquatica. He said it grew like wild, but when he cut it its sap had turned dark red instead of the normal colorless sap- and when a few blades died and dried, they ended up redish, rather than the normal tan.

I poked around and saw a few reports of this happening to other people, in those cases with no apparent reason.

Dude wanted to know just what was happening, all could say was 'I dunno. Maby alkaloid related, maby polyphenol related- I dunno.' That didnt exactly fill him with very much confidence. I know my secret super-dooper fertilizer concoctions are perfectly safe, but he's not a chemist- so he still has a little chemophobia that I have yet to purge from him.

SO, any of you heard of this- and do ya know how it effects the Phalaris aquatica?

Awww, but its a secret...

It was a 0.01% sol'n of ammonium humate with a half dose of 30-60-10, 25 ppm copper, 500 ppb molybdenum, and some boron, iron, and manganese thrown in.

Could be dimerisation of some of the indoles. Don't know what the colour of dehydrobufotenine is but the cyclisation of bufotenine that yields it (the name is misleading) could be promoted by oligoelements like manganese, as could dimerisation.

I'll have to mull over that.