The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
KlUe

Aboriginal rock art find

The rock art that redraws our history

HIDDEN in rugged ranges in north-west Arnhem Land, a spectacular treasure-trove of Aboriginal rock art is set to rewrite the history of Australia.

In a find that has stunned archaeologists and anthropologists, a vast wall of about 1500 paintings chronicles the history of Aboriginal contact with outsiders, from Macassan prows and European sailing ships to 19th-century steamships and a World War II battleship.

Alongside exquisite rock art more than 15,000 years old are paintings that capture some of the 19th and 20th centuries' most important technological innovations - a biplane, bicycle, car and rifle - as well as portraits of church ministers, sea captains and traders.

Article continues here: http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/the-ro...1331206960.html

Well, they don't look very aboriginal to me - interesting none the less.

Edited by KlUe

excellent pictures

I thought it was well known that the brittish werent the first to aus, for example the dutch came long before and the chinese long before them.

i vaguely remember an article(before the internet) that showed what the researcher believed to be ancient stone greek slipways on the coast of far north queensland,he was laughed down being told they were natural geological anomalies(although his pictures of the real thing from greece were remarkably similar)

his downfall was this was at the time of the beginning of the land rights fiasco and he had put forward the notion that perhaps the aborigine wasnt indigenous but actually descended from slaves the greeks used,supporting his theory with maps of aboriginal language dispersal which did concentrate and eminate from that region.