The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Mr Stay Puft

Kava prescription questions

I was wondering first of all what it would be prescribed for? Secondly who would be prescribing it? Then third would you be able to walk in to whomever and say i have been self medicating a sleeping disorder/anxiety etc for a number of years with kava can i get a script?

Then lastly with all this to go through is anybody importing it and if so in what form? Can i go to a chemist and ask for bag of kava or do i have to buy their pill form? Will they even have pill form?

Edited by Mr Stay Puft

As far as who's prescribing it, doctors are the only people who can prescribe anything so there is your answer for that.

Can't answer the rest, but I'd imagine if you tell a doc you've been using for a while he'll explain the risks (if he knows them which I doubt many will, but I think it is mostly vitamin deficiency?) then probably give you a script.

Peace

Sorry I've gotts be brief.

I got a script from my docor for Kava. I was being treted for anxiety & told him I had been using Kava for anxiety & he was only to happy to write me a script as long as he was sure it was'nt toxic or illegal so he looked up some websites checked it out & wrote me the script.

U can only be prescribed a TGA listed medicine & the only one is Thompsons kava capsules they come in 2000mg caps. not sure about other sizes.

Good luck with it.

I'm not so sure you need a script for kava pills. From my understanding its the powder and strong preparations that have become S4 - prescription only.

Mainly going by the S4 entry for kava:

PIPER METHYSTICUM (kava) in preparations for human use except when included on

the Australian Register of Therapeutic Goods in preparations:

(a) for oral use when present in tablet, capsule or teabag form

that is labelled with a recommended maximum daily dose

of 250 mg or less of kavalactones, and;

(i) the tablet or capsule form contains 125 mg or less

of kavalactones per tablet or capsule; or

(ii) the amount of dried whole or peeled rhizome in

the teabag does not exceed 3 g;

and, where containing more than 25 mg of kavalactones

per dose, compliant with the requirements of the Required

Advisory Statements for Medicine Labels;

(B) in topical preparations for use on the rectum, vagina or

throat containing dried whole or peeled rhizome or

containing aqueous dispersions or aqueous extracts of

whole of peeled rhizome; or

( c) in dermal preparations.

Taken from this thread: http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/inde...showtopic=17588

From my understanding this means that for kava preparations which fall into (a), (B) or (c ) a prescription is not needed.

Since the Thompson's pills are standardised to 60mg kavalactones and advertised as one-a-day they should be freely available without a script.

Also, theres no mention of needing a script when browsing on online pharmacies: http://www.completehealth.com.au/Products/...60_tablets.aspx

I am also interested as to how one would go about getting a prescription for the root powder. With an import ban in place how could one actually get their hands on the powder even with a script for it? Furthermore, I believe what shruman said is right, you can only be prescribed a TGA listed medicine. I can't see the TGA listing 'Kava Root Powder' any time soon as this would require a lot of dollars to be dumped into it to get it approved (testing, human trials, etc.). I'm pretty sure 'Kava Root Powder' cant be patented, so I don't see why someone would invest in this.

Has anyone seen kava tea-bags before?

edit: spelling

Edited by Alkonost

I am pretty sure docs can prescribe whatever they can justify as safe. I sometimes need scripts for overseas meds which are not registered in oz and this is no problem for them. Similarly with tryptophan, which is prescriptive at levels above 100mg/day, but there don't appear to be any such products on the oxz market. The condition is that the script needs to match the exact dosage and quantity of the product [or less].

The kava scheduling does not apply to products that are listed on the therapeutic goods register. As any capsules must be on the register before they can be sold, any such registered capsule for sale at a chemist would be excluded from the scheduling. ie, a kava product is only scheduled if it hasn't received the TGA stamp of approval.

Ban the plant and start selling prescriptions to be redeemed at the local state approved drug dealer..

Reminds me so much of home I'd swear we're neighbors.

Ban the plant and start selling prescriptions to be redeemed at the local state approved drug dealer..

Reminds me so much of home I'd swear we're neighbors.

They don't even try to hide it anymore...... :wink:

probably. might depend on definitions in some state laws though. definitely worth risking.

Is it legal to ingest the powder if it was in your possession before the new laws came in?

BTW, to the police who will be reading this....i don't actually HAVE any, i'm just curious is all.

Edited by Re-Gifter

probably. might depend on definitions in some state laws though. definitely worth risking.

Worth getting raided?

Nothing is worth that.

I am pretty sure that powder obtained before the scheduling date is still legal to possess, but not legal to sell/give away.

I think there are certain freedoms that are not obviously taken away from us which we need to challenge their existence of.

Cheers.

And yeah you are right....sometimes my paranoia get's the better of me.

Someone has to challenge the idiotic, money-minded, oppressive laws of this bullshit regime or we will all eventually end up in ovens for so much as farting past our daily quota..... :o

sorry, just read the law again and I have to correct my previous statement. Kava plants are definitely legal in those states where there is no special kava legislation. I would presume plants are illegal in WA and NT.

I was in a health food store a week or 2 ago looking for some GABA and stumbled across a bottle of kava tablets, thought at the time it was weird and contrary to the law. Price was wayyy up there. Old stock maybe?

it's going to take time for the laws to filter through. so yeah, I would presume old stock.