The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
mikee

Papaver somniferum

since spring has technically started 2 days ago and i have finally moved into a house with a decent backyard/sun exposure im wanting to "try" grow some Papaver Somniferum from now until summer

would anybody be able to help with seeds that can produce decent alkaloid content?

MikeyG

my understanding is that seeds should be planted in autumn, spring seedlings do not develop as well as those planted in autumn/winter.

this is the second post i have read recenty where people are saying that spring is here time to plant popppies, you can raise them in spring but i feel the best is in those colder cooler months of autumn and winter

seeds can be got pretty much anywhere, supermarket or if you have some nut/ coffee shops near you like you would find at the markets or some shops like turkish nut shops you can buy seed by bulk. well worth looking into.

Edited by VelvetSiren

There is talk of multi seasonal planting? Im in Heb's camp or should I say berber tent on this one, Autumn/Winter planting is much more desirable.

what i think is a good thing to do is have multiple plantings throughout winter all the way through till spring, every few weeks say ever month or so lay down new seed, so then you got staggered flowering as the patches progress through the life cycle, if you planted in autumn you would almost be ready for flowers to start forming.

nice to know. i may think about putting some in next austumn/winter.

i'll only think about it though, as actually doing it would be illigal!!!

Yeah you really do want to plant them late April early May and let them veg BIG through winter as poppies flower when the days become longer.

you really suggest winter to be planting them? i was just going by a couple of posts i read from various sites a few months back and they recommended the start of spring to plant them =\ - i am in Melbourne btw, im sure that would make a difference right?

i ended up getting a couple packets of seeds from my local asian grocery last night and planted them this morning...

hey its worth a shot right?

mikee of course i suggest winter to plant them otherwise iw ouldnt of written what i did.

your right no harm in trying as i said you can plat them in spring its just that they dont grow as well as they do when planted in autumn. im in melbourne too if you plant for winter they get alot of veg growth done so when the spring comes and the days get longer and warmer they will flower, otherwise spring plants can jsut shoot to flower and not really put in much veg growth. but ay see how you go no harm in trying i am not saying dont plant them, just saying when the best time is to plant. make what you will with that info.

the reason i responded to this post is i have read a few tiems spring is the time to plant and i disagree with that, but ay each to there own

good luck with them you will get some grow no doubt enjoy mate :)

thanks for the replies VS i will definitely keep that in mind for winter next year

I have heard of most success with planting in winter and a smaller crop also from planting in summer. May be geographically dependant though.