The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
FragmentedSanity

Transplanting Datura?

Lo all :)

I went walking today and found what looks very much like a Datura stramonium. Its only about 50cm tall - and it has two spikey pods and the flowers look white - but they arent fully out so I cant tell for sure.

Anyway - Id like to transplant it to my garden and was wondering if there are any special techniques, or if Id be better off just harvesting the seed and starting from that?

On that note how does one tell when the seeds are ripe?

Thanks

FS

they don't like transplanting too much, especially from the wild. You can be lucky though. You're better off waiting for the pods to mature a little and taking the seed.

Hmm... I thought that might be the case. Ill just have to wait for the seed, and hope it survives where it is.

Thanks

Take a big spade, leave it plenty of room, dig it out in one piece of dirt.

worked grouse for me.

datura now growing much larger in greenhouse :)

good luck. respect the datura.

Hey Monkeydance - thanks for the tip, That was pretty much what I was going to try.

Im still curious as to whether there are any visible signs to determin when the pods are mature?

I mean if Ive only gotta wait a couple of weeks or so for the seeds Id be silly to try an transplant before then.

But on the other hand - the plant might get killed before then without my help :(

Oh Decisions :P

just before the seedpod ripens they turn brown at the tip and split, proceeding to turn entirely brown and split more.

before this they get bigger and greener and the spikes turn from soft to spikey. not sure of the time between spikey thorns and splitting seedpod.

I will record the details of upcoming seedpods if anyone is interested. perhaps they mature in a consistent timeframe. not sure.

oh yeah re - destroyed, i noticed 5 or 6 datura growing alongside a road about a month ago, but a week later they had all been collected by the road services lawn mower... :/

[ 08. June 2003, 04:58: Message edited by: monkeydance ]

If ya want D.Strammonium seed pm me!

Very Virulant.From Cooma area :)

edit

Edited by Rev