The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Pixel

ID

I went on a bike ride through the national park and stumbled upon these fungi, they where attached to an old log just on the side of the path. the one on the right has a bit broken off.

post-4585-1214911458_thumb.jpg

I was wondering if someone could ID them, are they Pleurotus pulmonarius?

What you have there is 'Omphalotus nidiformis' - the ghost fungus.

They are bioluminescent - check them out in a *pitch dark* room - literally with no light. Let your eyes adjust for about 10 minutes and the younger fresher specimens will glow quite brightly, the older ones you should still notice.

Nice finds!

They are bioluminescent - check them out in a *pitch dark* room...

Nice finds!

wow, how lucky of me :)

thanks alot for that. i looked it up of wikipedia, and it said they are poisonous to eat, should you touch poisonous mushrooms? or wear gloves or something?

No you don't have to worry about that. Even with the very toxic ones, you would have to actually eat a significant chunk of a mushroom to have any ill effects.

Omphalotus nidiformis are not highly toxic. Apparently they cause nausea and vomiting.

I don't know if they're omphalotus nidiformis or not, but i found very similar ones and they didn't look like omphalotus nidiformis.. the umbonate-like black spot in the middle looks very un-ghost fungus, they should be depressed in the middle like a russula. Other than that though i can't help

... the umbonate-like black spot in the middle looks very un-ghost fungus, they should be depressed in the middle like a russula. Other than that though i can't help

i believe the fungus was quite old, i think it was there for a couple of weeks, it looked a tad soggy and black. it probably was whiter before. that might explain that.

Let us know if they glow! They might be a bit too old though...

i didn't pick them :(

Thats ok, you will probably spot more before the season is out. They seem to be reasonably common - they might even fruit again from that spot if your lucky this year. Try and get the young ones for maximum luminescence.