The Corroboree
Taxman

Anyone else had issues with airmail?

Hey kids

A friend of a brother of a mate of mine tried to import spores from sporeworks, and they showed up at his house in Australia dead as a doornail. He contacted the company, not even expecting a reply from them, but they were really cool and sent another couple of prints for free. But the second ones were dead too. And I don't think it's his culture technique, he's got a bunch of edible strains fruiting from cloned tissue, but all the jars he tried to innoculate with spores continue to be just jars of sterile medium

Anyone else had this issue? It's not surprising, I guess, I can't imagine the poor little guys surviving feezing temps and loss of pressure in the cargo hold of an aeroplane.

If only my mate's brother's mate was the mate to a brother of some kind of big wig lawmaker, he could change stupid laws that protect or benefit nobody, and he could get on with it!

O well.

What do you mean by 'sterile mycelium'? Did your jars actually colonise?

I have never had a problem with a print from overseas.

Sterile medium. As in growth medium, substrate.

So you haven't had any worries with airmail? Maybe he'll give it another go.

Cheers

Sorry man I misread your post. But does sounds strange, perhaps its a flaw somewhere in your technique. Best of luck.

Hey kids

A friend of a brother of a mate of mine tried to import spores from sporeworks, and they showed up at his house in Australia dead as a doornail. He contacted the company, not even expecting a reply from them, but they were really cool and sent another couple of prints for free. But the second ones were dead too. And I don't think it's his culture technique, he's got a bunch of edible strains fruiting from cloned tissue, but all the jars he tried to innoculate with spores continue to be just jars of sterile medium

Anyone else had this issue? It's not surprising, I guess, I can't imagine the poor little guys surviving feezing temps and loss of pressure in the cargo hold of an aeroplane.

If only my mate's brother's mate was the mate to a brother of some kind of big wig lawmaker, he could change stupid laws that protect or benefit nobody, and he could get on with it!

O well.

1.) How many "weeks" is he waiting for them to colonize ?

2.) Spores withstand the freezing temperatures of outerspace and the vacuum of space.

3.) Is he making a spore syringe from the prints ? If not try that, check some of the pinned threads for more info.

Hey WORKMAN, nice to see you at SAB.. Ive read a lot of your writings in the past.

I look forward to you sharing some of your mycological knowledge with us over here in Aus.

Hey WORKMAN, nice to see you at SAB.. Ive read a lot of your writings in the past.

I look forward to you sharing some of your mycological knowledge with us over here in Aus.

Thanks! I should be adding some new Australian collections to my microscopy gallery in the near future. It should be interesting to see if there are some new species in the mix.

Maybe they were x-ray'd (radiation) ? UV light ?