The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Plantsoma

Astrophytum

After a rough season of neglect, my cacti have been moved to a more suitable position and are now getting the TLC they deserve.

All seem to be in good condition except my Astrophtums.

The myriostigma has gone reddish and lost most of its spots, although the side that has been in the sun the last week is starting to come back green.

The capricornes seem to have some sort of rot?

Anyone know of these symptoms?

Heres some pics....

Astrophytum myriostigma - reddness

Astrophytum ornatum - rot?

Thanks

:)

Edited by Plantsoma

They look like A. ornatum to me, they also don't look too good at all. The A. myriostigma, might be saveable, but not totally sure, doesn't look the best either. Never heard of the flecks just falling off like that. Must have been extremely stressed for that to happen. Just keep them dry and hope they make it through till spring, not alot you can do for them at the moment except keep them nice and dry over winter. Looks like sunburn, but those markings could turn into rot if not cared for properly.

Astrophytum spp. in general, are particularly rot prone, some more than others. If given the right conditions, soil (potting mix), feed & watering schedule, they can easily be very healthy and thrive.

Edited by Phosphene_Dream

the smae thing happend to all my capricinres

only the carpriconre sthough really disheartining.

The Ornatum twins are rotting in reverse...... so to speak. Most rot is generally caused by over watering but your plants are roting due to a lack of water. The plant tissues are slowly decomposing and creating an nice environment for disease. Very hard to fix because its a catch 22 you NEED to add water or the plants will slowly die but if you do water you are helping the disease.

The Myrio is just suffering from over exposure to sun and should be ok.

Edited by Hellonasty

Thanks All! :)

The A. myriostigma has been moved to a non-direct sunlight position where it will still be warm.

The A. ornatum have been given a soak of weak 'Seasol' and i will keep them dry after that for a while.

Cheers for the priceless info.