The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Plantsoma

Snow Peas or Sugar Snap Peas

Hi All,

Is anyone growing snow peas or sugar snap peas?

I'm interested to hear how they grow in aussie climates.

As they are quite expensive to buy at the fruit shop, they'd have to be good to grow :lol:

the more tropical your location the harder to grow. they very easely get mildew, which is hard to control, however some people use now ordinary milk (very diluted with water) as a spray to combat this disease. at your location i would try to grow them over the colder periode of the year. once it get's hotter and hotter, in australia there is a point where, it simply gets too stressfull for legumes of this kind, regardless of how much you water them.

to my opinon, nothing beats snow peas, and growing your own is the way to go, as even just a handfull of them makes a big difference, to your taste buds. hey, don't you just love dashing out into the garden, once your meal is ready, to grab, some basil, corriander, parsley and some sweet peas!

I'm growing both , They grow fine here ( SEQ ), just babies atm and they got scorched when I had to work away and they were not watered for a couple of days but they have come back strong, nowI've got shit loads of mulch around everything. Got capsicum, onions, tomatoes, cucumbers and a few others going as well, all doing nicely :lol:

the grow fine in southern parts, but in the north you have to grow them over winter.