The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Alkron

Delosperma sp? ID please

Question

I found this succulent down the road and I think it's a delosperma. I missed the flowering but there are heaps of dry ones. They have the Lithop eye-like tip and is very different to the local pig-face (Disphyma crassifolia). Could anyone help with IDing this? Sorry about the picture quality, I'll organise something better if need be. I would really appreciate any help. Cold north Tassie climate and appears to be thriving. Looks planted in someones front garden and not native (i.e haven't seen anywhere else).

Thankyou

Alkron

2 answers to this question

I have started a delosperma ID here

http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/inde...showtopic=17772

as well... Looks tricky. The flowers , I think, are essential, since even with the flowers pics it's quite difficult to be sure. I have yet to find someone to reply to my thread.

I can only say, from the research I have done so far, that it looks like Delosperma cooperi plant meterial, but also like Lampranthus.

you will need a flower [can be wilted] cut vertically. Then you need to look if the ovary is along the middle or on the bottom/outside. Then you need the flower colour. This will take you to the genus and depending on which one it is it might even give you a species. Oh, you might also need to have a look at the seed pod valves whether they have wings or not.

I have about 25 species from the Delosperma group and I have managed to ID just 8 of them to species level.