The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
mr b.caapi

boring old winter

now winter is coming,seed germination is not really practised,apart from the odd "need a cold snap " seeds.

now that my hothouse is up will this help me ignore winter and germinate spring style??

sorry im not to clued up on hothouse temps through the wet season.

Don't waste ya time- a garden shed with H.I.D. lights will keep ya going all year long.(insulation's a plus!)

I use mine to get a jump on the season coming :D (also,i grow tomatoes off season,which is a real bonus)

Believe me, people will buy/trade goods and services for food crops-it's so easy!!

A 2m x 2m flood and drain system with 600-1000w Metal Halide(blue spectrum)-or High Pressure Sodium(better(has more red light in the spectrum)lighting set-up will astound you

You need a total disssolved solids(TDS) meter-and test your H20+Nutrient solution to read around 1400 ppm.

Light;

18 Hrs=Vegetative growth

12 Hrs=flowering

Although not all plants respond to light (darkness)cycles??

Hope this helps :rolleyes:

id love to have a h/light set up,shit yeah!

but it all comes down to one thing i havnt got.....ca$h!!

Understand......-Really

Took me AGES to get a worthy setup

All things come to those who wait

If I had cash.....I'd lend ............but :rolleyes:

Keep ya ear to the wire..it'll happen :D

Check your resources-what don't you need anymore??

Trades 'r as good as cash-wish I could help :)

edit

Edited by Rev

thanks rev,maybe its not so boring after all,

im feeling more positive now...whohooooo

Winter is a good time. Sure, tropicals don't like it too much, but there are plenty of other things to do. It is the time to harvest gingers and bring them in over the cooler months. It is the time to sow or divide ANY of the Mesembryanthemum/Aizoaceae family. Late winter is a good tiem to take cactus cuttings. Early winter we do a lot or pruning and harvesting.

It is also the time to catch up on all that seed cleaning I put off for the busier months so that spring stocks are plenty. If you live north of sydney you can plant almost any non tropical tree during winter, especially fruit trees (we will be putting in our orchard in a couple of months).

Yes, the winter in Melbourne and especially in ballarat and alpine areas is probably too long and boring, but in most other parts such as adelaide, perth, southcoast and certainly sydney and nortward, there is plenty to do.

So get cracking....

Hey FRiends !!

:cool:

speaking of good light source...

I used to run a mini reef salt water tank in my place 250 L. tank( had life corals, reef fish, sea cucumbers shrimps and stuff) for number of years...with good fluoros as a source of good light.

im a not expert on cultivation in gerden yet..but I tell U what had set of two tubes

one with blue spectrum and second with red yellow and green

the second was imported from USA

( all less than 100 $) 40 W all together.....and

I had algaes growing in noo time in my tank

it works its good source of light and its not too

expencive to buy and run

see U pet shop or marine life fish shop

expect to get a good advice as far as im concern!!!

hope I may be some help to you mates

se yaaaaa

:D

i have about eight different strains of papavers sprouting at the moment in my hothouse - in this extremely cold climate. the beauty of a hothouse in winter is that it's another workspace:

go gather your seeds

hatch sinister plots

determine your needs

then fill your pots.

what kind of temp range day/night does your greenhouse achieve WD ??

lowest temp recorded - minus five. highest was 52 degrees this summer. sunny winter days usually kick along at 22-25 degrees. i could go for a kero heater but i'd be guaranteed to leave it off one night and undo all my good work. it's surprising what will survive at very low temps ie all my cacti do fine if i don't water from late march onwards. still got daturas and tomatoes producing but the weather has been very mild so far, got lots of new plants to test out this winter as well.