The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Coschi

Black spot on my cutting :(

Hey guys

I got this nice bridgesii cutting but now i've noticed that while letting it callous it developed a little black dot around the tip

What should i do!? I'm very keen to get this one in the ground

07042008079gc7.jpg

Doesnt look too bad at all coschi, just give it SOME sun, keep it dry, plenty of air flow and it should heal up fine. Its not right in the growing tip so shouldnt cause any problems there.

Yeah looks fine, I wouldn't touch it unless it starts to get bigger. Just plant it :)

ok thanks! you've put my worries at rest :)

I was really worried, I got that cutting in a strange way; i was doing a job as i do (i might visit 5 peoples houses in a day) and this one guy had a massive beautiful bridge (2-3 meters tall with about 10 branches) I said "wow!" and spoke to him about it, at the end he gave me a big cutting, it felt it was meant to be :) i was looking at the cutting at home and it was literally perfect, no imperfections, so i was a little sad to see such a nasty looking spot developing :( but definitely it has had little to no airflow with minimal light.

I'll get it in the ground tomorrow :lol:

ok thanks! you've put my worries at rest :)

I was really worried, I got that cutting in a strange way; i was doing a job as i do (i might visit 5 peoples houses in a day) and this one guy had a massive beautiful bridge (2-3 meters tall with about 10 branches) I said "wow!" and spoke to him about it, at the end he gave me a big cutting, it felt it was meant to be :) i was looking at the cutting at home and it was literally perfect, no imperfections, so i was a little sad to see such a nasty looking spot developing :( but definitely it has had little to no airflow with minimal light.

I'll get it in the ground tomorrow :lol:

I had a very similar spot on my pach and i freaked out, took to it with a sterile scalpel and then dabbed over the wound with Mancozeb. I guess that was overkill but he seems fine now. The weird thing was, in the weeks up to the spot, the pach was in full sun, lots of airflow and it hadn't rained for a week. The black went down into the flesh a little bit as well.

I'll probably see how it goes by itself for a week or two in the ground outside, if need be i may need to do the same, but hopefully not

Just thinking.. when i took that cutting i used less than sterile technique.

Hopefully this wasn't a problem

Hi Coschi! Too much sterility promotes fungal infections! But maybe you´ve just stressed its immune system a little bit! Some sepcies are more Rot prone than others! So no worries! If it makes Problems, just cut it away! But i dont think thats mecessary! It looks like a typical black rot that heals out! bye Eg

Bridgesii's tend to do that moreso than others I've found. Often the result of too much moisture. Nothing bad will happen, just look a bit unsightly. Try and keep it dry tho.