The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
ferret

where can i find isopropyl alcohol?

out of topic q:

i overheared people saying,

paintstripper mixed with water, take water out repeat... what part do they use (water or bottom white stuff) and what is it used for ?

Thats for clearing out SOME of the impurities from the paint stripper. Toss the water (dont flush it- let it evaporate or somethin, dont contaminate ground water), save the organic phase, use the organic phase for whatever you need a organic solvent for (probably the less polar alkaloids).

thx, but the white polar looks so uninviting.

less polar alkaloid like (mescalin?) i get it..

still confused, say if used to trap alkaloids,

how to clean of the organic white solvent, i mean its massive residue...?

so curious because this person swore on it!

It really shouldnt be white, although that might just be because of emulsified water. Put it in a bottle and set it in the dark for a few days, see if that seperates out the remaining water. Try to avoid paintstripper unless you know exactly what it is composed of, there can be some really funky shit in there. Pure compounds (like toluene or xylene for non-polar, or acetone or isopropyl alcohol for polar organic solvents) or established mixtures (like VM&P naphtha for defatting or very non-polar extraction) are better. MEK is great too- a little less polar than acetone and not such a low boiling point, but more reactive. Avoid denatured alcohol unless you know what the denaturant is and how to deal with it. Avoid methylene chloride and chloroform unless you know allot about chemistry because they can cause many unpleasant complications (just exposing chloroform to light and air produces poisons and hydrochloric acid).

jep, it dawns,the jelly type is the wrong choice.

great info.

yeah I really don't know how good the quality of acetone from the hardware store is I know the acetone in our organic labs that we uses for rinsing equipment is allowed to be up to 40% water.