The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Toto_Rina

Tabernanthe iboga still viable?

Hi,

are the iboga seeds in the shop still viable?

They were added on 7 Dec 2007 and this date is already a couple of month ago.

Edited by Toto_Rina

we've had 4 deliveries in that time and expecting another 1 or 2 before the end of the season. and yes, they are definitely viable as we've grown a lot of plants from this seed ourselves.

Are they easily germinated? Been keen for ages but my germinating skills aren't much above sticking it in a jiffy pot.

Are they easily germinated? Been keen for ages but my germinating skills aren't much above sticking it in a jiffy pot.

in that case you are probably better off getting a plant.

... how much $ is too much for one about 25cm?

Edited by salem13

Hi all, first post.

I have just bought a whole heap of these seeds from SAB and I was wondering what temp I should set my root warming tray (max 50 degrees)? Thanks

stick a thermometer into the damp soil at the level of the seed and adjust so it hovers around about 30-33 degC. Up to 35 is fine too, but you don't want to go much below 30 for germination.

It's great to finally be able to post here and your response has been very helpful, thankyou.

also, don't keep too wet. just moist. because these seeds have dried coats they can take a while to germinate. it helps to cycle between moist and dry every 3-4 weeks. ie, every 3-4 weeks let the soil dry out to the point where the outer coat of the seed dries up a bit, then water again.

we've been getting good germ rates with the dry seed as long as they are warm enough.

we are now on our last batch of seed, so once this is gone that's it for the season I think.

btw, my propagator in the tropics says that he gets staggered germinations up to 9 months after putting the seed down. He uses fresh seed directly out of the pulp, so the lack of drying may cause the delay. Still good to keep in mind because it shows that the seed can stay alive for a long time if in the right conditions [ie moist sand].

I just had my first two seeds germinate :)

I thought I had better confirm this as I have heard people questioning the viability of this seed and I was starting to worry myself there for a while. Admittedly it is only 2 out the first batch that I planted which was about 60 or something but its still early days yet! And if things keep going at this rate then I will be a happy man.

It was rather a strange set of circumstances really as the last time I misted them I didn't notice anything but just by chance I checked them again about 4 hrs later there was actually an Iboga seed lying on top of a section of the tray that had other seeds in it and I don't remember disturbing the soil, weird! I looked closer and another one has popped up too which was definately not up 4 hrs ago.

They are on a 1.5m square root warming tray and the soil is constantly kept at 30 degrees celcius, I have them in a covered seed tray in 90% propagating sand and they are misted fairly regularly. I must admit that I was loosing hope there for a while as it has taken a couple of weeks to see any action but I think I can expect more germinations soon.

My only dilema now is.. how The hell do I get them out of the tray without damaging them or disturbing the others, I knew this would be a problem but kind of had an attitude of ah.. maniana.. whatever, I'll sort it out when I come to it. I am now using individual tubes in my trays to avoid this problem in future.

I tried to take a photo of the sprouted seed but couldn't focus on it 'cause it's the same colour as the soil but if you look a little to the right of the thermometer you might be able to see the white root.

post-4418-1211905396_thumb.jpg

My only dilema now is.. how The hell do I get them out of the tray without damaging them or disturbing the others, I knew this would be a problem but kind of had an attitude of ah.. maniana.. whatever, I'll sort it out when I come to it. I am now using individual tubes in my trays to avoid this problem in future.

each of the segments would have a drainage hole in the centre, so first press your thumb up against the bottom to loosen the soil and than poke a piece of wood with a flat cut end, which just fits the drainage hole upwards...

like this most of the time the whole cube comes out in one go.

make sure to do this when the medium is neither too dry or too wet, as both situations would rather lead to the soil segment to just fall apart. in a nutshell, the same principle applies like when you build a sand castle!! :wink:

Thank you, I love this site :)

Edited by baphomet