The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
XipeTotec

a little cutting I have recently aquired..and a question...

I picked up this great cutting the other day, of a puruvianus like persuasion. It is about a metre high, and fat. I was considering rooting and growing in a large pot as is. What do u guys think? do you think that it wouldnt grow as successfully as a smaller cutting would? have any of you rooted and planted such a large cutting?

post-2407-1205149009_thumb.jpg

It will be fine,i had to lop a metre off mine to keep it within the greenhouse,it remained horizontal on the bench for two years growing etiolated on its own reserves.

Rootlets were forming on the underside and when i finally potted it i was rewarded with flowers.

This last autumn everthing had the lower stems cut off,most are about a metre and have previously flowered.

They may not flower this year and i do hope i can get them rooted before etiolation begins.

Nice looking plant!

i've rooted lot's of cuts that big and bigger.It will do fine.

Ya better tie it to a stick or something.

Good score xipey, lucky devil.

As others have said there should be no problem with rooting a cut like that. I am actually going to agree with Teotz', you probably should stake it.

Another option would be to cut it into lengths and root them induvidually (wear protection!! :wink:) and have many plants come from it, my choice would be to just grow it as one single column and wait till it pups to get some new plants.