The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
t st tantra

maidenii rumour

maidenii flowering now......heard a rumour smoking the flowers results in a feeling of spiritual wellbeing,maybe stronger than anad.

t s t .

ohh i wish my one would flower it sure is old enough too fingers crossed and then i will let you know about that rumour

Yea SA, iv got one growing since a 30cm baby round 2 years ago,and now its a monster that overshadows my roof.

Though iv yet to get flowers,which is fine by me coz i really dont like bees.

Peace

Self Abuser,

from dim memory there's maidenii at the botanical gardens, tagged so you can get a picture of what they look like, please dont hack it to pieces :) its been in some sad shape over the years. i don't think it'll be flowering now but I could be wrong.

good luck

found out a bit more....the id is not 100%,there apparently is an acacia growing next to the tagged maidenii in anbg which looks very similar,this plant was grown from seed collected from that plant about 6 years ago.......tree is now about 4 metres high and 3 wide......flowers were not picked,immature flower heads were picked up from the ground....tree has leaves like maidenii/obtusifolia[?] cross......pruned to shape quite happily.....regrowth looks like maidenii,root suckered after damage,sucker looks like maidenii.

t s t .

I've stuffed just about every aerial part (and some root scrapings) of most common wattles in SEQ into a pipe before... leaves at various ages n stages, unripe seed pods, powdered seed, flowers, resinous exudates... didn't get anything off any of em other than Hickory Wattle leaves which have a slight sparkle to em when picked up from the grass below, naturally airdried and cured but not rotting on the ground, kinda thing. They sure do have that styrene-esque reek to them and some extremely red inner bark... with maiden-esque flowers (give or take the finer points of colouring and structure, of course, but to the untrained eye they're a likely contender), pointy leaves and bark in pronouncd vertical strips...commonly found in areas close to maiden habitat too... might be some cross over of ID there.

That and Melanoxylon sap, very pale yellow aged washed out stuff taken in very dry weather, also showed some sparkle.Not enough to make a habit of though. Moreso when pulverised with fine white black wattle ash.

Podalyrifolia leaves also had a bit of sparkle to em when smoked, but only after being stored and found to have developed a fine, all over covering of some kind of mildew?

Yes, I spend too much time bumbling around the shrubbery :lol:

Could all be down to regional populations of course.

VM

post-889-1204941033_thumb.jpg post-889-1204941065_thumb.jpg

Pics of the maidenii going outside in my backyard. at around 2/3 years from a 30cm baby. (not the best shots,but ill try again when the suns hitting it.

its still a youngish looking one but shes maturing :)

post-889-1204941033_thumb.jpg

post-889-1204941065_thumb.jpg

post-889-1204941033_thumb.jpg

post-889-1204941065_thumb.jpg

that seems quite similar to the plant i'm refering too....shorter wider,slightly sickle shaped leaves compared to normal maidenii?

t s t .