The Corroboree
Jesus On Peyote

Good amazonian soil mix?

Hello people,

Been a while :)

Im wondering if anyone can help with opinions on what would make up a good fertile,mineral rich soil for potted (sub) tropical plants from the South American, amazonian areas?

Iv read that volcanic red rock would be good, also a "humus" (not sure what that means) compost or pine bark, but apart from that im not sure what else would be good for the mix..as i usually just get commercial potting mix like osmocote mixed with perlite usually for everything.

If anyone can help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Jesus loves you.

G'day Jebus :) Being that I know very little about South American soils, I'll help with what I can:

Info and pic/diagram about Humus can be found here: wiki/Humus

Being that the ecology in the worlds largest rainforest would be insanely complex and almost impossible to re-create at home in Aus, I'd think your best bet would be working with a completely natural/organic mix. I'd lean towards creating one at home from a scrap-heap/compost, not out of a bag (bag mixes tend to be very average on the whole - perticularly if you are looking for a very nutritious, lively mixture that a plant would go ape-shit in). Make your own organic teas - I'm sure there'd be info on wiki about teas (natural water-based fertilisers); utilise worm castings; use well rotted plant matter; use clean river sand for drainage; and just generally stick to entirely organic methods and ingredients in your mix (probably safe to use perlite, even tho it's made using a synthetic process, it is still a fairly organic material and fantastic for drainage).

All your nutes/minerals/etc will come from well decomposed plant matter and organic teas. Maybe also look into utilising diatomaceous (sp.?) earth too. Hope this helps, sorry it isnt a bit more methodical :blush:

Yo, Ace.

Sweet, thanks for the link, think i understand now.. organic, organic n more organic materials :)

Ill do a little more research to try get a better understanding of the type of soil that comes out of the area, might even try contacting a few companies n see if anyone specializers in it.

Ill post any findings i may come across incase anyone else is interested.

Peace

what would be ur reasons for using the diatomaceous(spelling) earth be in the mix ace?

if u where potting into big pots, id try and grow organically and encourage worm and other beneficial insects in the pots(would surely more resemble an 'amazon' mix hes after? . im not to sure the dio earth would agree with the worms i.e shred em up. good ally against mealy bugs in infrequently watered pots i.e cacti, but seeing as his tropicals will be watered frequently im not to sure mealys would be a problem.

im just keen as to ur use of dio earth in tropical pots.i like to handle that stuff as least as i possibly can.

i grow my tropicals in straight pott mix, the best potting mix i can afford. mixed with say 3/4 handful of blood and bone per bucket of potting mix.seems to work fine for me. none really show any deficiency during the growing season (i like to re-pot at the beginning of the growing season) and if i spot one i give them a boost with an enriched seasol solution.

im a full believer in growing organic now.

unrelated, but my tropicals (caapi,viridis, tabs, calea seem toreally love banana skins! ive basically mulched their pots with them. but geez they are cranking) my brugs seem to devour them with gusto as well.

what would be ur reasons for using the diatomaceous(spelling) earth be in the mix

I was under the impression that while it is good for getting rid of pesky bugs, I thought it had a huge benefit in boosting soil quality? Perhaps I am thinking of something different - I certainly didnt know it'd kill worms (thought it just deterred bugs). Appologies lads - I think that this one might be worth giving a miss, at least in the mix. And I think I need to go research the stuff a little more too! :blush:

For what its worth, heres a link to info on D.E for those that CBF'ed searching themselves :P: Diatomaceous_earth

A little info on soil health: Soil_health

And maybe the most important/valuable to all of us plant nuts (heaps of info/links): Soil_science

Edited by Ace

Thanks for the replies guys,

Im not sure about the Diatomaceous earth,sounds kind of un natural from what i read from wiki, ( for potting mixes anyway ,used to stabilize nitroglycerin :o ) Ill leave that for the more advanced gardeners :)

Think ill have a go with some

30% organic potting mix,

30% matured humas compost

20% volcanic rock

10% blood n bone

10% food scraps

Or somthing round that range. organic and lively. That could be a start mix n see how it goes n adjust it from there?

sounds ok?

Peace

give it a go mateand let us know how it goes!

u wouldnt want to include any food scraps (i.emeat or any citrus to ur mix), that may go rancid, but i like ur thinking! good luck! growing plants is all trial and error , find out whatworks best for you.