The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
gilligan

Bridgesii pollen wanted

Hi, all

I have a bridgesii coming into flower, and need some bridge pollen...

Be willing to go halves in the seed if it pollinates :)

Edited by gilligan

Well, no responses yet... still looking hopefully for a donor...

If no takers though, would cereus peruvianus monstrose pollen pollinate a trich bridgesii?

would cereus peruvianus monstrose pollen pollinate a trich bridgesii?

Very unlikely. The cross would have to be within echinopsis and more likely strictly within the 'classical' trichocereus group. I could be wrong, but I dont think you'll have any luck here.

I have T. pachanoi (rooted) and possibly T. scopulicola (unrooted) forming flowers (both recent cuttings, but starting to form flowers from the buds), but they will be a little way off yet (probably another week or two). Perhaps I could request some of your bridge pollen and we could split my resulting fruit (if they indeed flower/pollinate successfully)? You can still pollinate yours (if someone provides some pollen) and harvest your bridgies pollen to donate elsewhere.

If no one provides pollen for ya, you might want to try selfing it just to at least attempt pollination, though I have a feeling all trichs are self-sterile.

My final T.Pachanoi bloom for this summer will happen in the next 1-2 weeks.

I'm keen to swap pollen - any of the species mentioned here sound good.

PM if interested.

Cheers

I don't know how long the flowers take to form, being my first one(anyone?), atm it's only about 0.7cm out of the main branch.

I'll def provide you guys with a bit of its pollen if you are interested, in return for some of the seed if successful :) I'll keep some in my pollen repository for future as well... (this shows that you never know when you may need it...

don't know how long the flowers take to form

I think the bud takes a few weeks to form (from a little node to almost open), then the flower opens for about 3-4 nights before withering and dying. I have only had pachanoi flowers before (within the tricho genus), unfortunately none so far this year (they were recent cuttings at the time of flowering - this always pushes cacti to flower, however might result in lower seed count - still yet to test that).

AJ/Gillie, I'd be happy to collect some pollen on a couple 'q-tip' things and post em off for you, and would be very appreciative if you wouldnt mind doing the same. At some point that way we can ensure that at least one or two flowers are pollinated. Will chat via PM.

AJ/Gillie, I'd be happy to collect some pollen on a couple 'q-tip' things and post em off for you, and would be very appreciative if you wouldnt mind doing the same. At some point that way we can ensure that at least one or two flowers are pollinated. Will chat via PM.

Sweet as, consider it done. :)

I've got T. spachianus flowering atm if anyone would like some pollen.

ed