The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Conan Troutman

Native American Ethnobotany

Thanks for the tip. I just ordered it and will keep you posted.

They had another book on the same page, "Plant Resins; Chemistry, Evolution, Ecology and Ethnobotany" that I couldn't resist, as well.

It's everything one could have hoped for. Magnolia virginiana leaves and/or bark held in cupped hands and the vapors inhaled nasally is a hallucinogen, according to the Rappahannock tribe.

The book on plant resins was somewhat of a letdown, the only psychoactive resins mentioned were cannabis and hops. It's mostly about amber.

I find it interesting, but it has very little entheogenic information.

Now, the Native american ethnobotany book, that one is just FULL of useful information on every aspect of herbal medicine and other uses (fiber, tools, weapons, etc) for plant material.

It's far superior to anything else available today--to the best of my knowledge.

It beats James Duke (never my favorite anyway) hands down for detail.

Edited by friendly

Going to have to order this one..........

Looks great! :D

It seems that I am always chasing entho plants from far off lands.....while I may just have a wealth of them in my own area......

Thanks for the heads up.

asdasd

Edited by Teljkon

i know of a couple magnolia virginiana here,i'll look into it at our next meet......think it has another latin name too?

t s t .

There is so much information there it boggles the mind. 11 different Pedicularis species are mentioned for a multitude of uses as food, drug and 'other' by several tribes.

Seminole analgesic: Andropogon floridanus, bidens coronata, Cephalanthus occidentalis, Desmodium incanum, Juniperus virginiana, etc. many many more.

Sedative: Bacopa caroliniana, Chenopodium ambrosoides, etc.

Stimulant: Chenopodium ambroisides (see above under sedative, also), Juniperus virginiana, Persea borbonia, etc.

This is just a listing of some of the plants, not their dosages for each treatment, which is in another part of the book.

Edited by friendly

asdfsdf

Edited by Teljkon

fgdfhdfg

Edited by Teljkon

it was magnolia grandiflora not virginiana,but will still look into it........found some fresh seed if anyones interested.

t s t .