The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
worowa

Using dowells for wood lovers

G'day, I've scored a box of furniture dowells, and I'm keen to innoculate them with shiitake, reishi and hericium at this stage, and hopefully a few other choice edibles down the track. Does anyone know how to prepare the dowells? I've started with a bunch soaking in boiled water, but was wondering if adding gypsum or nutrients to the water would be better.

Also, does anyone know a good, cheap source of hessian sacks? Shiitake seems to love it.

How are you innoculating them i.e. stem butts, LC, rye grain spawn, sawdust spawn etc.? My understanding is that they need only to be soaked in good water for 24-72 hours. According to some, longer is better to really get the water down into the wood fibers. I can't get to it while at work, but over at mycotopia.net they've got some good info. Google search - mycotopia DQ dowel spawn.

Innoculating shiitake with hessian sack spawn, reishi with popcorn spawn, and hericium with malted milo agar. I'll probably do some eryngii from newspaper spawn as well. I've been experimenting, and so far these substrates match these species. The coprinus comatus (thanks WT) also likes my paper/coir mix-unfortunately I didn't keep very good records, I think I mixed some milo in the water when hydrating it.

Thanks for the lead

I have heard of people adding things to the water that they soak the dowels in - a tiny bit of malt is said to speed things up. be careful not to add too much though. if it works without adding anything it might be safer to just use water. do you know what type of wood they are?

The coprinus comatus (thanks WT) also likes my paper/coir mix-

Gecko was to thank for that one - he gave it to me after doing all the hard work in finding it ;)

Edited by watertrade

They're "kiln dried victorian ash", probably eucalyptus regnans.

Well many thanks to both of you, gecko and WT, for the various cultures, and to all the others who contribute their knowledge and experiences. Took me 10 years to put theories into practice, and stumbling across this forum really got things moving.

does anyone know a good, cheap source of hessian sacks?

BUMP^ Did anyone have any tips for tracking down some hessian-action?

HI Ace, haven't seen you in a while. :)

I'm not sure if they are cheap but you can get Hessian sacks from pet shops for about $1.5

:)

Try a green-grocer (spud-bags).

Haven't grabbed any for years, but that's where I used to get them.

Possibly they pack in 'plastic' bags these days.

ed

G'day Ace, I scored a bunch from a cleaner, 50cents each. I've got to track down his number, it was in the Canberra Times, Tuesday flea market, late Jan/early Feb. If he's still got any, I'll grab the lot, and send some your way.

In Tassie I got them free from a spice shop.

You can also get hessian at bunnings. They have it on rolls like fly screen and shade cloth etc. Not sure on the price though.