The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
chilli

Yesterday is Dead and Gone

I read this somewhere, and it cracked me up:

silverteem

Yesterday is dead and gone

and tomorrow may never come

but we have this moment to hold in our hands.

hortonsbks

Well....isn't that a cheery thought??? Happy New Years to you, too!

beachinit1969

Yes right after I read the OP, I made my will.

It set me in the mood.

silverteem

Here are the lyrics to the song.

We Have This Moment, Today

Hold tight to the sound of the music of living,

Happy songs from the laughter of children at play;

Hold my hand as we run through the sweet fragrant meadows,

Making memories of what was today.

Tiny voice that i hear is my little girl calling

for daddy to hear just what she has to say;

My little son running there by the hillside

may never be quite like today.

We have this moment to hold in our hands,

And to touch as it slips through our fingers like sand;

Yesterday's gone, and tomorrow may never come,

But we have this moment today.

Tender words, gentle touch, and a good cup of coffee,

And someone that loves me and wants me to stay;

Hold them near while they're here, and don't wait for tomorrow,

To look back and wish for today.

We have this moment to hold in our hands,

And to touch as it slips through our fingers like sand;

Yesterday's gone, and tomorrow may never come,

But we have this moment today.

"We Have This Moment, Today"

words and music by Bill and Gloria Gaither

hortonsbks

Well...if you are into dying in this much...you should keep it to yourself and not try to get others into it. It's all very depressing.

Wow, that was probably the first piece of poetry to actually mean something to me since childhood. I dont know what those douchebags are giving the writer crap for - s/he has some truly inspirational and touching words. I only hope that one day I have as much talent as it would have taken to write such a touching piece of art. Utterly beautiful. I suppose it could sound very corny and even verging on depressing for some (probably those with a tad too large an ego or perhaps too closed a mind), but I hope that there are at least a few who can appreciate the beauty that has radiated from those simple symbols (letters/words/lyrics) to my soul.

Can I ask what 'cracked you up' about that, IB? The reactions to the poem/song or the actual poem/song? Perhaps something else? Thanks for posting - I appreciated it :)

Wow, that was probably the first piece of poetry to actually mean something to me since childhood. I dont know what those douchebags are giving the writer crap for - s/he has some truly inspirational and touching words. I only hope that one day I have as much talent as it would have taken to write such a touching piece of art. Utterly beautiful. I suppose it could sound very corny and even verging on depressing for some (probably those with a tad too large an ego or perhaps too closed a mind), but I hope that there are at least a few who can appreciate the beauty that has radiated from those simple symbols (letters/words/lyrics) to my soul.

Can I ask what 'cracked you up' about that, IB? The reactions to the poem/song or the actual poem/song? Perhaps something else? Thanks for posting - I appreciated it :)

Ace, the words are from a song by (I think) a Christian couple in the US who are singer/songwriters... what cracked me up particularly was the line about putting him in the mood to write his will, and the line about being fixated with dying... because the song seemed like some really kind of upbeat song to me. Anyway, I think they all knew each other and the ragging was good natured, don't let it upset you mate.

*reaches out and awkwardly pats Ace's shoulder as he continues to be emotionally moved by Christian pop songs*

Edited by IllegalBrain

LOL, well there ya go! A religious pop song has actually meant something to me - I truly never thought I'd see the day! :o Nah I'm not getting upset or anything, just wasnt sure why they were thinking it was so gloomy when I felt quite the opposite. Still, a very nice song or even just a simple poem and very well written.

well Ace ya did mention liking HIM a while ago... as a slightly reformed black metal fanatic with a dad prone to liking welsh and american southern gospel music, it occured to me a while ago that generally the songs are all about the same issues, seen from different points around the circle of more spiritual viewpoints. What are you doing with your life, what do other people or the folks upstairs think about it, and what do you think about THEM.

Or something. I've met two or three churchgoing types that actually turned out to be big fans of My Dying Bride, though they dug it in more of a "wow have you ever actually read frankenstein? its really fucked up..." kinda way.

Hums Amazing Grace to the tune of Puritania,

VM